The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 11:38 PM

flyguy2 is on a distinguished road
Default Ultra Light Reel

Does anyone have any experience or opinions about the Angler's Roost 101M reel. It is 2.76 in diameter and a hair over 4 ounces. Any help would be appreciated !!
Old 04-24-2011, 12:59 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Ultra Light Reel

What are you putting this on. The orvis BBS 1 is only 3.2 ounces, the BBS 2 is only 3.5 ounces.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:08 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy2 View Post
Does anyone have any experience or opinions about the Angler's Roost 101M reel. It is 2.76 in diameter and a hair over 4 ounces. Any help would be appreciated !!
I agree with MudBug...4+ oz. is not an ultralight reel. There are several reels that hold 4 and even 5 wt lines that go mid and low 3 oz range. Some even sub 3 oz range. It all depends on what you are putting it on. I have a 4 wt reel that runs 4.3 oz and is fine for my longer 4 wt rods. It is pretty misbalanced on my new 7' 4 wt. I'm looking for something that is 3.5 oz or so to balance out that rod.

Balance is the key, I'd fish an ounce heavier rather than fish a light misbalanced rig.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Sounds heavy for a 2.75 reel. The Hardy Flyweight is the lightest reel I know of. They are no longer in production but sell on eBay regularly. I found them too tiny and too light. If price is the deciding factor check the 'Bay' and search Martin Fly Reel. The vintage #60 and the old MG-3 are about as light as a Hardy and can be had for 9 - 30 dollars. I have one of each and they are great reels.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-24-2011, 09:39 PM

flyguy2 is on a distinguished road

It's going on an old Orvis rod. The butt cap on the rod says Trout and it weighs 1 7/8 oz's. I looked at the Orvis BBS and I think that is the ticket for this rod. Thanks for the info !!
Old 04-24-2011, 10:13 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Sounds heavy for a 2.75 reel. The Hardy Flyweight is the lightest reel I know of. They are no longer in production but sell on eBay regularly. I found them too tiny and too light. If price is the deciding factor check the 'Bay' and search Martin Fly Reel. The vintage #60 and the old MG-3 are about as light as a Hardy and can be had for 9 - 30 dollars. I have one of each and they are great reels.

Ard
The Hardy Flyweight is very much in Production and goes for $239 I believe. They are still sweet, and still built to pass down to your grandkids. Cortland has a new one out (the retro) which is a real nice palmable click and pawl for $129. It balances nice with a 6 foot 2 weight so it must be pretty light.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:48 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I knew that that second tube of glue was going to make it hard to think............. Yes there are still 4 lightweight Series reels made, duh.

My bad,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-25-2011, 09:26 AM

57hotrodvw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I saw an Ebay ad for what I believe is the same reel, and it listed the weight as 138 grams, which is ~4.9 ounces.

I too was looking for a lighweight reel for a 3wt rod, and was considering the BBS 1 and BBS 2 reels that others have recommended. I ended up with an Orvis BLA 1, which is a little heavier (3.9 oz), but the price was right and I really like the reel.