The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 01:28 PM

arno78 is on a distinguished road
Default Information about Ross, Nautilus

Hello, I'm French and I would ask you your opinion of American reels for lines 5.
I am interested in Ross Evolution or Nautilus FW, but I do not know the Nautilus.
How are they like in USA?
What do you think about Nautilus FW?
They are in my budget under $ 300.
I was interested in the Lamson Litesspeed but it exceeds my budget.

Thank you for your help.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:17 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2
Default Re: Information about Ross, Nautilus

You sound like my kind of guy. I just received my Nautilus FW 7 Plus today, and I just picked up Ross Evolution 1.5 over the winter.

I'll tell you that you are wanting a Ross Evolution 2, and likely a Nautilus FW 3 Plus.

Lamson is another very cool company with some sharp designers doing some really nice stuff. Look into their Guru line of reels.

I'm not going to prematurely judge anything here, but they are well-made reels from companies who stand behind their products. I haven't heard anything bad about these companies. There is probably no wrong answer to this question. In all honesty, chosing between these reels may indeed come down to weight, aesthetics, and backing capacity (whether or not it is needed).

Best of luck and I will stay in touch as we are getting close to fishing season here in Michigan.

Last edited by ddombos2; 03-19-2012 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Spelling and Grammar
Old 03-15-2010, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi amo78,

I suggest you add the Galvan Open Back to your list. It is my most favorite reel for trout fishing. The build is excellent and the drag is super for light tippet fishing. There are lighter reels on the market but none that I like better than the Galvan OB. The OB does not have an incoming click, a feature I like a lot.

The Nautilus line of reels are also high on my list. They have a very good drag and quality build. I have not seen the feather wight models but based on the companies reputation I would not hesitate to buy one. One advantage of the Nautilus Feather Weight is you can use a Plus or standard spool on the same frame. I know the CCF reel does not have an incoming clicker but I don't know about the Feather Weight.

Ross makes very good reels and you would not be disappointed with one of their Revolution LT. I have a Saltwater Ross reel and it is a very good reel. It does have the incoming clicker that I don't care for. There is nothing wrong with an incoming clicker I just don't like them personally. It makes no difference to the function of the reel. I like the Evolution LT better than the old Evolution. They have added some weight to the LT reel and I like it better. The old Evolution always seemed too light to me. Just didn't have that solid feeling. Some of our members like them a lot.

You should also consider the Able Creek. A wonderful fly reel that is in your price range. It comes in a standard arbor reel and a large arbor reel. The two spools are interchangeable. The large arbor may be a small amount over your budget. Able calls it a large arbor but in fact it is a mid-arbor. But that could be said of the Galvan too.

Frank

Galvan OB Reel
Click the image to open in full size.

Nautilus Feather Weighter

Ross Evolution LT

Able Creek
Old 03-15-2010, 03:57 PM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

Have you considered the Lamson Velocity, it has all of the same features as the litespeed (Lamson conical drag system and hard alox finish). For a 5wt is 188 Euro. If I had some extra cash I would pick up a litespeed or velocity.
Cabela's -- Lamson Velocity Hard Alox Fly Reels

Cabot
Old 03-15-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddombos2 View Post
You sound like my kind of guy. I just received my Nuatilus FW 7 Plus today, and I just picked up Ross Evolution 1.5 over the winter.

I'll tell you that you are wanting a Ross Evolution 2, and likely a Nautilus FW 3 Plus.

Lamson is another very cool company with some sharp designers doing some really nice stuff. Look into their Guru line of reels.

I'm not going to prematurely judge anything here, but they are well-made reels from companies who stand behind their products. I haven't heard anything bad about these companies. There is probably no wrong answer to this question. In all honesty, chosing between these reels may indeed come down to weight, aesthetics, and backing capacity (whether or not it is needed).

Best of luck and I will stay in touch as we are getting close to fishing season here in Michigan.
Thanks but i d'ont understand when you say "I'll tell you that you are wanting a Ross Evolution 2, and likely a Nautilus FW 3 Plus."
I don(t understand the différence between FW and FW+ ? It is the diamèter of spool ?

Frank Frank but i like the style Of Nautilus ans i search a large arbor Reel.
For my lines 5 i choose the FW7 or FW5+ but i don't know the difference !
Thank
Old 03-15-2010, 05:00 PM

ab fisher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
There is nothing wrong with an incoming clicker I just don't like them personally. It makes no difference to the function of the reel.
sorry frank, respectfully i will have to disagree with the fact that the incoming clicker doesn't make a difference in function. the purpose of the incoming clicker is to keep the spool from bringing line in when you are throwing streamers and dries. with out the clicker the spool can move freely in the incoming direction and bring line in while casting over head.

i personally try to find reels that do have the incoming clicker for that purpose sense i do a lot of streamer fishing for big fish and having to pull line off the reel in the middle of a cast can be a pain and potentially mess up the accuracy of that particular cast when the drag is set tighter for bigger fish. i will admit that i have a few reels that don't have the incoming clicker and there is nothing wrong with them and there reliability is just the same the only difference is where the clicker ball and dimples is located. to most people this wont make any different in function to them as a lot of people don't notice in bringing in line a lot but there is a definite purpose for the dual directional clicker.

but back to the main subject. i personally have not used the Nat. but have the Lamsons and Ross evolution they are both great along with the others that Frank mentioned. as far as clickers go there wont be any real benefit in it unless you are fishing a lot of big waters that require a lot of over head casting and even than it is all personal preference.

sorry Frank i am not saying that your preference is wrong or anything i just wanted to point out the function of the incoming clicker.

Basically it all comes down to personal preference they are all great reels i personally use only two companies reels and that is Allen & co and Vosseller. yes the Allen & co does not have the incoming clicker but the performance is so good that i just had learned to deal with it, no biggy for fishing the river tho

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by arno78 View Post
I don(t understand the différence between FW and FW+ ? It is the diamèter of spool ?
from what i can tell the only difference is the diameter of the spool which yields a higher backing capacity on the FW+
Old 03-16-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Thanks but i d'ont understand when you say "I'll tell you that you are wanting a Ross Evolution 2, and likely a Nautilus FW 3 Plus."

Frank Frank but i like the style Of Nautilus ans i search a large arbor Reel.
For my lines 5 i choose the FW7 or FW5+ but i don't know the difference !
Thank
It is size, weight, drag, and backing capacity. You want to select a reel that balances well with the fly rod and puts the balance point (when spooled with line and backing) somewhere near the front of the grip.

You need enough backing, but the Nautilus reels are oversized in terms of diameter. The FW 3+ is about the same size as a typical reel for a 5wt and fits 120 yards (110 m) of backing. You know what you are fishing for, so if you need the extra diameter and more backing capacity, then go up to a FW 5 or a 5 Plus.

The FW 7 Plus I just received fits will on my 7-weight outfit, and carries 225 yards (210 m) of backing. Typically speaking, that is more reel than you need or want on a 5wt rod.

What species are you fishing?
Old 03-16-2010, 10:27 AM

Thanks for your answer. I want a FW7 for my 9'#5, for trout fishing in river. It's to have a large arbor reel because i like when diameter is bigger.
You d'ont 'think ?
Old 03-16-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your answer. I want a FW7 for my 9'#5, for trout fishing in river. It's to have a large arbor reel because i like when diameter is bigger.
You d'ont 'think ?
Personally, I'd go with the FW 3 Plus for a 5wt outfit, mainly for weight. That reel is about the same size as a Evolution 2. The biggest reel I would put on a 5wt rod would be the FW 5. You can add an FW 5 Plus spool and get decent capacity for even 7wt line.

Even though the reels are very light, they have large diameters and carry so much backing that it adds weight if you buy a large reel. That weight will upset the balance of a 5wt rod in many cases.

Don't do anything until I can send you some pictures. I'll photo all my setups and tell you what the diameters are.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi arno78,

Here is a link to the Nautilus Specifications. You can compare the different reels in size and weight.

The difference between a Feather Weight + and the standard Feather Weight reel is how deep the spool is. A Feather Weight + has a deeper spool but is the same width as the standard Feather Weight. The FW-5 is 3.5" in diameter and the FW-3+ is 3.25" in diameter. I think a standard FW-5 will give you a faster retrive than the FW-3+. You will have to study the specs. and decide for your self.

The FW-5 has the capacity to also be used with a 6wt line if you have one or plan on getting one. There is only 20 yards difference in backing between the FW-3+ and the standard FW-5 with a 5wt fly line.

Just study the devil out of those specifications and pick the reel that meets your requirements the best.

Frank