The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 08:50 PM

damato1969co is on a distinguished road
Default Reel for Z-axis?

First off thanks too everyone who posts about gear,etc. Moderators-big help...thanks for taking the time! I owe this as I had used this forum for alot of research in the past and it pays off.....Anyway I need some advice from anyone with a 9' 5wt Z-axis(spoiled myself-no kids) and would like to see what balances best with this rod? Thanks again!
Old 03-22-2010, 09:37 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reel for Z-axis?

I use an Abel Creek #2 Large Arbor on my 9' 5 wt Z-Axis. I'm happy with the balance.

Click the image to open in full size.

I also have an Abel TR2 that I have my "wet" line on. The balance is so close with my Abel Creek that I cannot tell the difference.

I used a Waterworks ULA 2X for two weeks before I got my custom Abel. It seemed to balance well, too.

I recently sold to one of my customers a Z-Axis along with a Ross Evolution LT 2. It balanced well, too.

The reality is that there are so many quality lightweight reels, it's hard to tell the difference in balance. Choose the reel with the features that you want. I'm sure that it will balance fine.

MP
Old 03-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi damato1969co,

Just about any reel that is sized for a 5wt will work. MP named some nice reels that would match. I would add the Galvan Open Back to that list. I must say that the Able Creek would be hard to beat.

Frank
Old 03-23-2010, 02:41 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Just my opinion, but if (and when) I get a Z-axis or an Orvis Helios or a St. Croix Legend Elite, it will be matched to a Hatch reel.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:30 PM

gaz19 is on a distinguished road

Hi i dont have a Z-axis, but i do have a 9' #5 xp which i think is much the same, and i have a lamson volicity 2 which i think is perfect and quite cheap, and also a green ltd edition Ross Evolution 2 (the older model) i hope this helps
Old 03-23-2010, 07:32 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
Just my opinion, but if (and when) I get a Z-axis or an Orvis Helios or a St. Croix Legend Elite, it will be matched to a Hatch reel.
Just curious; I've got both a Z-Axis and a Helios, and they are quite different rods. Why do you think a Hatch reel is best suited for each?
Old 03-23-2010, 07:41 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I use an Abel Super 5N on my 9'0" Z-Axis 5 wt. and like the feel a lot; tireless casting, all day if I'm in the mood. Prior to the Abel, I used a Ross Evolution 2.0 and it was also a very good match for the rod.

I agree with Frank that there are a large number of reels that will go well with that rod; or with any other lightweight 5 wt.

I start to pay attention to the drag characteristics of a reel when I get into the 5 wt. rod range. Up to that point, I'm mostly hand stripping my fish into the net (I fish 3 wts. and 4 wts.; nothing below a 3 wt.).

So, you have a nice rod there; I would pair it with a reel of comparable quality and performance.

Pocono

Last edited by Pocono; 03-25-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:05 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
Just curious; I've got both a Z-Axis and a Helios, and they are quite different rods. Why do you think a Hatch reel is best suited for each?
I have nothing for ya beyond what I consider a dream outfit. I own relatively inexpensive rods and reels. I fish what I can afford. At some point, I'm gonna get a nice 9wt. Trying to save some pennies. I've done what I could to have quality stuff at decent prices and, for a 9wt, I don't wanna be so frugal.

Hatch reels are nice, made here, although they are pricey.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

There is no doubt that that Hatch is a nice reel and built to last. A bit on the heavy size if that is important.

If you want to save some money you might consider the Allen Fly Fishing XL series reel. It is all the reel you need for a 5wt rod. Justin is selling them for a great price.

Frank

Hatch 3+ Reel

Allen Fly Fishing XL 5/6
Old 03-24-2010, 12:48 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Quote:
Originally Posted by damato1969co View Post
First off thanks too everyone who posts about gear,etc. Moderators-big help...thanks for taking the time! I owe this as I had used this forum for alot of research in the past and it pays off.....Anyway I need some advice from anyone with a 9' 5wt Z-axis(spoiled myself-no kids) and would like to see what balances best with this rod? Thanks again!
After a rash decision made late at night, I am finding myself in the same situation. (Said with wincing smile.) I'm thinking about loading up my spare (original) Evolution 1.5 spool with 5wt Rio Grand. If I can get 80 yds of backing, I think I will be okay.

Then again, I might peel the 6wt line off my Ross Gunnison 3 and see how that works with the 5wt. Drag is a little weak for a 6wt anyway...maybe I need to dink around with the drag range setting. Maybe later this year or next I will go ahead and get another 5wt reel just for the Z...

Last edited by ddombos2; 03-24-2010 at 06:37 PM.