The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 08:25 PM

phnix5888 is on a distinguished road
Default Question please help!

Ok here i go i currently own a pfleuger starter set 5/6 weight rod with a shakespeare 1094 reel i need all new lines from backing to tippet (backing got tangled when unlining for pre season maintenance) my question is should i spend the 60 ish dollars on new lines for my old reel or my local gander mountain has a cortland prestrung 7 wt reel with disc drag for $40 i dont have much experience but i would love to get out and catch some trout on the pigeon river this year. all info and opinions apreciated
Old 03-30-2010, 09:20 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Question please help!

A good line will cost you more than the outfit did. Get the best line you can and then you can always move up to a better rod and reel when you're ready. Treat the line good and you'll be able to put it on a new reel when the time comes.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:47 PM

thank you mojo anyone else input please? what is the opinion on the cortland reels?
Old 03-30-2010, 10:41 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phnix5888 View Post
what is the opinion on the cortland reels?
It's good at holding line and backing. It's a $40 reel with line. That's what it's supposed to do.

Rio, Cortland, and Scientific Anglers make lines that cost about $35 to $40. Figure in about $5 for backing and $4 for a leader. You can be out the door under $50 and still salvage your reel. Worse case scenario is that you could make a midnight run to a Walmart to line up.

MP
Old 03-30-2010, 11:59 PM

very true at that same store i was looking at some scientific angler ultra 4 flyline that they have on clearance for fourty dollars. do you know much about the flyline that comes on the cortland my guess is its just a basic flat line although i could be wrong. my biggest worry with the new reel is how overlining my rod will affect my casting
Old 03-31-2010, 12:12 AM

stasher1 will become famous soon enoughstasher1 will become famous soon enough

At that price it's probably their "Fairplay" line. Is it orange? One of my local Walmarts stocks the Cortland Fairplay line, backing, leaders, and tippet. It's definitely not high-end stuff, but the WF-F line does indeed float and actually casts fairly well.

I have an inexpensive (cheap) 7' 5/6 wt Eagle Claw glass rod paired with a vintage Sportfisher 33 (Medalist clone) that I like to use on one of the local ponds, and I have it spooled with the WF6F Fairplay line and leaders. No problems so far, and the price (~$13) allowed me to keep my total "investment" in the combo at less than $50.

You could also keep an eye on Ebay for a good deal on new fly line. You ought to be able to get brand-name line, backing, and leader shipped to your door for less than $40. There's a seller on there right now with Cortland 333ht in WF5F and WF6F for less than $19 shipped, and SA AirCel can usually be found for $25 shipped as welll. Not exactly high-end stuff, but far from junk.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:23 AM

i believe it is orange its either that or yellow but it cant be completely terrible thanks for all the great information everybody i feel so welcome
Old 03-31-2010, 01:15 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I have a feeling that the line on the Cortland is a weight forward taper. If you use that setup, you will feel your rod load all the way into the grip.

MP
Old 03-31-2010, 12:16 PM

do you think that overlining my rod by one line weight will affect it very much?
Old 03-31-2010, 02:10 PM

Only you will be able to tell whether you will like the uplining. It will slow down your rod.

I upline some of my saltwater rods because they are very fast.

MP