The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 12:40 AM

uscmule is on a distinguished road
Default Decisions decisions....

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the sport and the forum. Be gentle

I'm trying to decide between a Lamson Konic 2 and an Allen Trout Reel for a 5 wt rod (primarily trout fishing).

Other Reels I considered but am not as excited about are the Loomis Venture, Sage 1850, and Orvis BBS.

My budget is about $125ish and I will likely be pairing this reel with an Echo Carbon.

Ideas or recommendations? Thanks!
Old 05-03-2011, 01:41 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decisions decisions....

don't worry....lots of kind and helful people here
looks like many people enjoy their Allen reels.... sorry,can't help you more I only use Vivarelli or Cordel reels
Old 05-03-2011, 03:04 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmule View Post
Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the sport and the forum. Be gentle

I'm trying to decide between a Lamson Konic 2 and an Allen Trout Reel for a 5 wt rod (primarily trout fishing).

Other Reels I considered but am not as excited about are the Loomis Venture, Sage 1850, and Orvis BBS.

My budget is about $125ish and I will likely be pairing this reel with an Echo Carbon.

Ideas or recommendations? Thanks!
My take on the Lamson Konic is this; it is one of the best functioning drags I've ever felt...super smooth and great range. The downside to that reel is that it is not "machined", it is cast. There is some argument as to just how much weaker the reel is, but it is to some degree less durable than a bar stock machined reel.

The Allen I just got looks great and the drag seems to work great; it is a machined reel. Justin seems to be doing most things right. There have been some complaints about shipping times, which he has blamed on too many orders, no help, and order system changeover. I got mine in about 8 days. Take that for what it is, some peoples experiences and reviews. The reels seem solid.

I LOVE the Orvis BBS reels, but I can't stand the standard arbor reels. It is a tried and true reel, with a lifetime warranty from one of the best. You Might want to reconsider that one.

Considering you will have to buy line also, you might want to check out this e-bay deal. The Redington Rise with free line and backing for $149. You are going to pay $6 for backing, and a minimum of 20 bucks on line so this is a pretty good deal and in your price range. I have handled these reels and they feel very solid. Machined, nice top end drag setup at a medium price.

NEW REDINGTON RISE FLY FISHING REEL 3/4 FREE $40 LINE + | eBay

Or shop elsewhere on e-bay if you are e-bay savy. Plenty of options there, used, closeouts, may get more bang for your buck.

Just noticed that link is for a 3/4 reel. You may want this one, $158, but also comes with free line:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-REDINGTON-RI...item48401e8555
Old 05-03-2011, 03:01 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

. My input is toward the Lamson. It's been a long time top of the line company.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:32 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I am leaning towards the Lamson Konic. It has a great drag system that will last. Plus Waterworks-Lamson has been around for many years. It is a very reputable company.

Quality control is high on the Konic. The pressure casting process is more precise than a reel that is gravity cast. Pressure casting eliminates nearly all of the inconsistencies that gravity casts have. Is it as pure as barstock? Probably not. After the piece is pressure casted, it goes on to be CNC machined to get its tight tolerances.

I won't comment on the Allen reels except that many on the forum seem to be happy with them.

Dennis
Old 05-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

uscmule: Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing! You won't go wrong with either reel, but understand that Justin from Allen Fly Fishing gives forum members a pretty good discount on his products, so keep that in mind when comparing prices.

Larry

Old 05-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi uscmule,

I like both reels and recommend both. Before you make up your mind find out from Justin what his price is for a Allen Trout reel for NAFFF members. The Allen trout will be less expensive than the Konic.

You will have to decide if you want to pay more money for a high pressure cast reel or less money for a fully machined bar stock reel. The machining on the Allen reel is top notch and you get a lot of reel for the buck. The problem with most cast reels is they are somewhat brittle compared to a machined steel reel. Some cast reels have broken when dropped on rocks. Not that we should be dropping our reels on rocks. I don't know if that is true of the Konic or not.

I got an Allen Trout 5/7 this year and never even considered the Konic even though I know it is a good reel. The Allen was the better buy for me.

Frank
Old 05-03-2011, 05:20 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome aboard USCmule;
I'll join the chorus for the Allen. Mine is also a 5/7 and is about all you will need for Trout fishing. Should do well on the Echo Carbon, a good rod.
If you need a line suggest you ask Justin about his at the same time. Think he will put backing on for you too. You will have to tell him which hand you
crank ( wind the reel ) with. Good luck, this is a great sport
imxer
Old 05-03-2011, 09:37 PM

uscmule is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies everyone! I appreciate all the comments, particularly those regarding the manufacturing process.

It seems like I will be fine with either reel. One of the other factors in my decision is that I can go to my local fly shop and walk out with an Echo Carbon and Lamson reel. Instant gratification, and place to go back if I am having problems are very attractive. The machined bar stock and the overall look of the Allen Trout reels are what is making this decision somewhat painful.

On a different note...

Can you guys point me in the right direction to learn about drag systems? I am interested in the materials selection and design and how they affect the overall system. I poked around a bit on this forum and on google and didn't see any sources that seemed very reputable.

Thanks for the warm welcome!