The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 03:34 AM

whoknows is on a distinguished road
Default Noob needs help.

Hey all I've searched the forums for about 3 days about reels. And being new to fly fishing can't really come to a good conclusion on reels.

I received my rod today I got it brand new for $45 w/ 5 year warranty. It is a 9' 6wt St. Croix Triumph rod with Mod-Fast action. I will be fishing for steelhead/rainbows and the river smallies in Ohio with it while doing some occasional pond fishing for bass.

The Reels I have been looking at are

1. Allen Fly Co Trout reel in 5/7
2. G.Loomis Venture fly reel
3. Ross Worldwide Flyrise

Those are in my price range which is around 100-120. Any suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated!
Old 05-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Noob needs help.

Whoknows: The Allen reels are very nice, but remember when comparing the prices, to send Justin a PM, he offers NAFFF members a very nice discount. I have one of his trout reels and really like the way it looks and handles. I used the Ross Evolution reel before, the Flyrise is built off that design, but probably made by a cast versus machined, but I think that is a minor point, some of the casting nowdays is very good and the drag should be excellent. I can't comment on the G. Loomis Venture, as I have never used one.

Larry

Old 05-05-2011, 03:09 PM

whoknows is on a distinguished road

Okay thanks, could you point me towards his Username or Email so I would be able to get in contact with him?
Old 05-05-2011, 03:52 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoknows View Post
Hey all I've searched the forums for about 3 days about reels. And being new to fly fishing can't really come to a good conclusion on reels.

I received my rod today I got it brand new for $45 w/ 5 year warranty. It is a 9' 6wt St. Croix Triumph rod with Mod-Fast action. I will be fishing for steelhead/rainbows and the river smallies in Ohio with it while doing some occasional pond fishing for bass.

The Reels I have been looking at are

1. Allen Fly Co Trout reel in 5/7
2. G.Loomis Venture fly reel
3. Ross Worldwide Flyrise

Those are in my price range which is around 100-120. Any suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated!
You might want to check this out for the price... $100 and those reels have an amazing feel to them. Probably the best drag I have ever used. Only downside, and some say it isn't much of a downside at all, is this reel is not machined, it is pressure cast.

Lamson Waterworks Konic 2 Fly Reel Brand New NR | eBay
Old 05-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi whoknows,

I have never seen a Ross Flyrise but here are some things I would check out.

Here are the specs for the Flyrise.

Frame/Spool Material High quality aluminum alloy

Manufacturing Specifications Pressure-fed cast aluminum, 1 piece frame, 2 piece assembled spool, machine finished

They state it is pressure fed cast and not HIgh Pressure Fed cast. This may be a standard cast reel. Not the best choice. Used to lower cost. I would really check out the two piece spool. How are the two pieces connected together?

Drag Material Delrin 500AF with impregnated Teflon - space-age polymer that is durable, heat resistant, self-lubricating and maintenance free

Drag Mechanism Delrin 500AF to anodized aluminum interface - conical friction drag system with triple redundancy radial pawl engagement and seamless transition between line-in and drag engagement (no start-up friction)

Spool Rotation, Connection and Conversion Oil impregnated bronze bushing rotating on a stainless steel spindle, quick release locking spool, easy left-hand to right-hand retrieve conversion

This is apparently a sleeve bearing reel. A sleeve bearing is reliable but not the quality of a ball bearing mounted spool.

Finish Electrostatically coated with proprietary aerospace grade polyurethane (AGP) for the perfect balance of hardness and color

This is basically a painted reel. Not as tough of a finish as some other finishes.

Fly Rod Coverage 2wt. - 9wt.

Fishing Application Designed for use in all freshwater, warmwater and saltwater fishing environments

AVAILABLE COLORS Black, Granite Grey

Lifetime Warranty

Lifetime warranty is always a good deal with a big company.

My comments are in blue. Of the three reels you have listed the Allen would be my choice. The Allen is the less expensive of the three and is a fully machined bar stock reel. In this price range the two best choices would be the Alley or a Konic. The Konic is a High Pressure casting that is finished machined. It is more expensive than the Allen.

I don't own a Konic but I do own an Allen Trout reel. Very satisfied with the quality and performance of the Allen Trout reel.

Frank

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 05-05-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

As others have mentioned I have too words for you...Allen Trout!

You can reach Justin at
Email: info@allenflyfishing.com
Phone: 574-855-7100
www.allenflyfishing.com

You can also go to his website and use the live chat he has there which is usually the fastest way to reach him. Like Frank says tell him you are from the forum and he'll give you a nice discount.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:25 PM

mtbrider405 has a spectacular aura aboutmtbrider405 has a spectacular aura about

Hey Whoknows,

another vote for Allen from me! That makes three votes Allen, get the picture?

I have two Trout 5/7's and an Alpha II on the way. These things are amazing for the money. They should easily cost around $300 retail.

The only issue (if you can call it that) is they are very swamped at the moment. Shoot them and email and ask about wait times.

I can tell you one thing. You won't be sorry for waiting.

-Jason

PS, if you need line, check them out as well. I have three spools and LOVE it.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:44 AM

greatcanadian is on a distinguished road

I have both a Lamson Konic and the Allen Trout. The Konic is on my 8 weight and the Allen on my 6 weight. There is no doubt that the drag on the Lamson is tough to beat. But the Allen is no slouch either. Which one do I like best? Put it this way - I have to get a new reel for my 4 weight and I'm going with the Allen. It's a very very nice reel, especially for the money. And dealing with Justin is an absolute pleasure. So I would suggest the Allen. And while your'e at it you may as well pick up some of his flyline as well. You won't get better value there!! I just took the Allen flyline off my 8 weight and put Cortland 444 Classic on it. I believe the Allen line is more supple and casts better. I put the Allen line on a cheap old 8 weight backup I have. I will be putting it back on my main rod.

Last edited by greatcanadian; 05-12-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:25 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough

just got my allen trout 5/7 today, hopefully it starts to rain tomorrow and i get the day off so i can go use it! im coming from a plastic reel so this is a huge good change, i dont have much els to compair to but i can already tell i love this thing.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:42 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Hands down, the Allen Trout.