The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 08:43 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice
Default Re: Reel Drag Type Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by okuma View Post
Fly reel drags should be set to where the spool will slip before the tippet breaks. Watch pro bassers on TV. You will see them pull drag off the reel making sure it won't line break. As far as 2 lb. fish, I've caught many 22 inch browns on a 3 weight and a bar stock orvis. Now, i use a battenkill II and just bought an Okuma magnitude off a gentleman here.both on 5 weight rods) Long story short, Frank is right. Oh btw, a 2 lb. trout or any fish will eat a click and pawl reel alive. Unless you're really good at palming

IT'S ALL IN HOW YOU HOLD YOUR LOWER LIP
May I ask what kind of Click and Pawl were you using?

I have landed Steelhead to 18 pounds, 30 pound class King Salmon, Fresh Alaska Silvers in the 10 pound class, Rainbows in TN in the 6 pound class, and 20'" Mi Brown all on Hardy Click and Pawl reels. And I do not claim to be an expert at palming. I have had one other brand of click and pawl reel fail me on some AK class Rainbows, I promptly sold it. But a properly adjusted Hardy click and pawl is a beautiful sounding thing. And remember they were the Standard for Atlantic Salmon for years. I certainly don't worry about two pound trout.

Last edited by burk48237; 05-08-2011 at 09:45 PM.