The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 10:29 AM

dresch is on a distinguished road
Default best waders

If you had about $250 to spend on waders,which ones would you buy
Old 04-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: best waders

Hi dresch,

I guess I would keep saving my money because the two toughest pair I've ever had cost more than 250. Not that I think that is fair but that is the market. I've been using a pair of LL Bean Wicked Tough Waders since 2003 and they have seen some really hard times. I had to reseal the seams in the right foot and patch one hole from a cactus in CO. other than that they are unstoppable. Sadly they are also discontinued, they sold for $389 back then.

To be sure I have a back up pair I purchased a pair of Simms G3 waders last fall. I have not used them as of yet but they appear to be very well made and I expect them to wear well.

In closing the comment I will say this, if you get the toughest wader you can find you will have far fewer problems with pin hole leaks and abrasions. So if you currently have a pair to use, keep saving and get the best you can get.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-27-2010, 07:46 PM

troutbum17 is on a distinguished road

i have been using the simms stockingfoot base pair of wiaders they carry. they run about 150. I have had them since 04' and havent had any problems, but i only fish about 40-50 days a year.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I guess I should clarify my remarks. For me it is not about how often I use them it's the things that happen while fishing that can affect your waders. Things like kneeling, crossing bushy areas and of course there are always some sort of sharp items in the brush............... I may be harder on them than others so I will retract my get the best position and say remember what your wearing when you are out there.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-27-2010, 09:32 PM

smallieman will become famous soon enoughsmallieman will become famous soon enough

I purchased the Simms G3 convertible waders and I love them. I would save for them.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:40 PM

hopperfishing is on a distinguished road

I've had great luck with Dan Bailey's lightweigh waders that cost around $200. These waders have seams on the outside of the legs which makes a huge difference in durability. Currently I have Patagonia's top wader with 20-25 days on them, and the seams on the inside of the legs are just about ready to wear through and leak from the seams rubbing together when I walk. I won't buy another wader with seams on the inside of the legs.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:16 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi dresch,

In closing the comment I will say this, if you get the toughest wader you can find you will have far fewer problems with pin hole leaks and abrasions. So if you currently have a pair to use, keep saving and get the best you can get.

Ard
I agree with this. I bought some cheap waders and they started to leak within months. My next purchase will be a better quality wader. My cheap neoprere waders have been fine but you don't want to wear those in warmer weather.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:57 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a pair of Orvis Tailwater XT stocking foot waders last spring after seeing the pair that Davo had purchased. They appear to be really well made and I really like the fact they can be worn as waist highs or chest high by simply removing the suspenders.
Boot Foot Fishing Waders / Tailwaters XT Waders Bootfoot -- Orvis

You might also try checking out EBay once you decide on the wader brand, model and size, sometimes you can run across some real nice deals.

Larry
Old 04-29-2010, 01:36 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

I have a special "wader strutt" that includes a slight bowing of the legs to reduce crotch and inner leg wear. If I hear fabric rubbing, I am doing it wrong.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:28 AM

Tajue17 will become famous soon enough

simms freestone! honestly these will always be part of my gear,, never once had a leak or problem other than my legs getting chilly.