The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to all
Default Re: Allen Alpha - currently discounted - Opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Any Alpha 7/8's left on sale?
hello,

Sorry, no. Im all sold out to make room for the Alpha II's coming in 3 weeks. I'll be introducing those to the fourm soon.

Thanks guys
Old 05-29-2011, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Darn! I guess I'll just have to pick up an Alpha 2 when their out. What finish will you be offering them in?
Thanx!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 06-01-2011, 10:43 PM

bugman53 is on a distinguished road

Hey, Guys....3/4 Alpha has arrived and I like it quite well. In an attempt to share my experience and generate some data to the benefit of Allen Flyfishing and their other reel buyers, I'm providing the following:

Specs on the 3/4 show 90 yards of 20 lb backing for a 3 or 4 wt WF line. I mounted a DT3F Cortland 444SL and could only get it and 40 yards of 20 lb on the reel. This sort of info is very helpful to buyer and seller a like. If you have similar info as to the type of line and the amount of backing that you can get on any of the reels, please post here and also send to Allen Flyflshing so they can make it a part of their data set.

Best to all,

Dennis

Last edited by bugman53; 06-01-2011 at 10:46 PM. Reason: TYPO
Old 06-16-2011, 07:39 PM

flyguy2 is on a distinguished road

Received my 7/8 a week or so ago. Absolutely love it, I can not believe what a deal these reels are. Thanks Justin !!!
Old 06-20-2011, 07:40 PM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about

I just got my Trout 3/5 this week, looking forward to trying it out later this week. I'm impressed with the quality just looking at. Might be a little heavy, but just a little. The drag is very nice, the fit and finish is impressive. It's comparable to more expensive reels. It's so nice having quality equipment at lower price points. Then equipment junkies like me don't have to go broke buying stuff.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:43 AM

bugman53 is on a distinguished road

Following up here after the receipt of my Alpha 3/4. Report is all good. I hung it on a 7'9" Powell LT for a 3 wt. and its a superb outfit for smaller streams. Good balance, operates smoothly, and the rod, for those not familiar with the older, USA-made Powell's, is just the berries. I also have a 8'3" for a 4 wt. (both rods three pieces) and love them both.

Cheers!

Dennis
Old 08-12-2011, 05:16 PM

tully mars is on a distinguished road
Angry Re: Allen Alpha - currently discounted - Opinions?

I hear all these great things about Allen Reels. Beware, I bought a XL 7/8 late last year and was going to get an extra spool. Guess what, discontinuted. I'm going to stay with the name brand reels in the future.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to all

Hello, sorry you feel that way. When I did the sale on those reels I made it clear that they were closeouts in a new drag that I was messing with (cork). The XL line of reels were that way. I would have no problem trading up to my new reel (Alpha 2)

Thank you

Justin
Old 08-12-2011, 07:01 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tully mars View Post
I hear all these great things about Allen Reels. Beware, I bought a XL 7/8 late last year and was going to get an extra spool. Guess what, discontinuted. I'm going to stay with the name brand reels in the future.
Justin has gone through some growing pains, that's a fact. Still, his reels are a bargain, and when he makes mistakes he usually does a very good job of trying to make up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenflyfishing View Post
Hello, sorry you feel that way. When I did the sale on those reels I made it clear that they were closeouts in a new drag that I was messing with (cork). The XL line of reels were that way. I would have no problem trading up to my new reel (Alpha 2)

Thank you

Justin

Can I take you up on that? I'll send back my Alpha 7/8 (Never used) and the XL 7/8 + Spare Spool (Also never used).

I have spent more time chasing trout and never made it out after Pike, I should have just listened to you and waited for the Alpha II.

Also, any knews on spare buckles for your pack/chest pack?
Old 08-13-2011, 03:38 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Every company, even the biggest ones, phase out older products in favor of newer, improved products. Discontinued product is just a reason to get a newer one in my book (never mind my graduate student budget, Allen certainly helps with that!).

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...