The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 03:14 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Talking A reel tip

I took one of my reels (Martin Classic 3/4) apart the other day for some quick maintenance and stupidly loss the spring that's behind the spool release.
I was about to steal one from another spool when it came to me that disposable lighters have a similar spring to push up the flint.
The lighter spring was too long, but the diameter was perfect. One little snip with the nippers and we were back in business
Old 05-17-2010, 08:28 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: A reel tip

Awesome tip, Rippy.

Sometimes invention is not the mother of necessity. It's improvision...
Old 05-18-2010, 12:03 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I took one of my reels (Martin Classic 3/4) apart the other day for some quick maintenance and stupidly loss the spring that's behind the spool release.
I was about to steal one from another spool when it came to me that disposable lighters have a similar spring to push up the flint.
The lighter spring was too long, but the diameter was perfect. One little snip with the nippers and we were back in business
Though I've never lost the springs for the spool release, I can tell you that I have spent some time on my hands knees looking under my desk and around the carpet for the ones I've dropped. I'll keep this tip in mind next time I fumble one during maintenance.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

That's a great tip Ripyou should repost it in the" little tricks to share"thread