The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 06:31 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough
Default Allen Reel Recommendation

I am looking fo r a reel for a 3wt and thought I would give Allen a try. What reel in there line would you recommend I have never seen one. Mosytly will be used for Brookie and panfish.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:48 AM

ab fisher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Allen Reel Recommendation

i would go with the Alpha 2/4 for a 3 wt it is a small compact mid arbor reel that will balance a 3 wt just perfectly and the drag can be turned down to almost non existant for the fish that dont need much. if you want a large arbor you cant go wrong with the trout series. i have a couple trout series and a alpha that i us when i can pry it out of my dads hand on a 4 wt and i would probably say that the alpha is my favorite reel. the trout is rated a 3/5 so it will be a much bigger reel so it might through a 3wt rod out of balance. If you have any more questions feel free to PM i have one of his reels on each of my rod weights
Old 05-19-2010, 07:27 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

Thanks I ordered one form Justin today.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:28 PM

you wont regret it man
Old 05-20-2010, 11:38 AM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about

I agree, I have a 2/4 wt from Justin. Alpha (polished) it looks and works like a fine piece of jewelry...really nice.

Boser
Old 05-20-2010, 06:20 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I'm getting the trout 5/7 reel. Your guys reviews is what got me to order.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw355 View Post
I'm getting the trout 5/7 reel. Your guys reviews is what got me to order.
the 5/7 trout is awesome i have a 5/7 trout and a 3/5 trout and they are nice. I will worn you before you get it they are big but light. they look like something that would belong on a 7 or 8 wt rod but they are nice for my five wt because they hold a good amount of backing and a 5wt wf line i have about 80 yard +/- 5 yard of 20lb dacron on mine and there is plenty of room for more it balances out my ross fw rod perfectly and looks great to boot. i hope you all have as good of an experiance with the allen reels as i have.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:34 PM

michaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the rough

I have the Trout 5/7 loaded with 100 yards of Scientific Anglers 20# dacron and Allen's WFF 6 line, and there is more room available, but I like to leave it somewhat under capacity in case I forget to carefully level-wind it when I have a fish on. With the large arbor, the rate of retrieve is plenty fast. The drag is progressive and easy to adjust and silky smooth.

This is a very nice reel, regardless of price.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeln View Post
I have the Trout 5/7 loaded with 100 yards of Scientific Anglers 20# dacron and Allen's WFF 6 line, and there is more room available, but I like to leave it somewhat under capacity in case I forget to carefully level-wind it when I have a fish on. With the large arbor, the rate of retrieve is plenty fast. The drag is progressive and easy to adjust and silky smooth.

This is a very nice reel, regardless of price.
im the same way i like to leave a 3/16-1/8 0f an inch under loaded for that reason and when you can get that much backing and line on it you have no reason to fill it to full capacity unless your chasing salt water fish and big bruites on the still water
Old 05-21-2010, 09:19 AM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by boser View Post
I agree, I have a 2/4 wt from Justin. Alpha (polished) it looks and works like a fine piece of jewelry...really nice.

Boser
I guess I should have said, I own several 5/6 wt Allens Alpha and a 3 wt Alpha. I love all of them....very attractive,, balanced, very smooth.

Boser