The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2010, 10:40 PM

turner66 is on a distinguished road
Default Sage 4550

Who's fished this reel? I don't find a whole lot of discussion about it.

I'm considering this reel to match with a 590-4 ZXL, but I can't put my hands on one in my area and I'll need to order it on line. How does the drag compare to say... an Evolution LT or a Galvan Spoke/Torque? How's the balance? The weight seems about right to balance a ZXL or Z-Axis slightly tip high with backing/line? If you've fished one, has the exposed drag gearing presented any problems?

My criteria for this purchase is: large arbor, excellent drag over full range, light weight but balance well for fishing all day, and quality construction. The fact that to me it is cosmetically very attractive in silver/black is also a nice bonus... something about the design is drawing me in, but I also need it to perform well too. My gut is telling me it's not a bad choice, but I'm nervous because I can't try one out.

Thanks
Old 05-22-2010, 11:46 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sage 4550

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner66 View Post
Who's fished this reel? I don't find a whole lot of discussion about it.
I own a 2550 that I have a sinking line on. The difference between the two is the porting pattern on the spool, otherwise the drag system and the reel frame are identical.

Quote:
I'm considering this reel to match with a 590-4 ZXL, but I can't put my hands on one in my area and I'll need to order it online. How does the drag compare to say... an Evolution LT or a Galvan Spoke/Torque?
In regards to just touching the reels, I think that the Ross Evolution LT and the Galvans have a bit more breaking power on the higher end.

In regards to start up from actually fishing, I think the Galvans are smoother.

Quote:
How's the balance? The weight seems about right to balance a ZXL or Z-Axis slightly tip high with backing/line?
I think its fine.

Quote:
If you've fished one, has the exposed drag gearing presented any problems?
None whatsoever.

Quote:
My criteria for this purchase is: large arbor, excellent drag over full range, light weight but balance well for fishing all day, and quality construction. The fact that to me it is cosmetically very attractive in silver/black is also a nice bonus... something about the design is drawing me in, but I also need it to perform well too. My gut is telling me it's not a bad choice, but I'm nervous because I can't try one out.
There are a lot of good reels in the market. Even though I like the drag system on the Galvan, I'm sure that the Sage 4550 will fit your needs.

MP
Old 05-27-2010, 03:09 PM

MP,
Sorry for the belated acknowledgement, but thank you for your response. All things considered, I'm now leaning heavily toward the Torque T5. I think it fits my fishing situations best. Also, at the time I asked the question, I didn't realize these (Sage reels) were Asian made. I've decided I'll try to keep my contributions close to home if I can.
cheers
Old 05-30-2010, 07:54 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

No worries, dude. Even though I do not use Galvans personally, I feel Galvan makes a fine product. Also its customer service is topnotch. If you ever have to call Galvan, you will most likely talk to a Galvan.

Here in Northern California, Galvan Reels are the most used reels by guides. They and their clients use and abuse the snot out of them, and they keep working. If you need a testimonial, just ask Bigfly. He guides quite a bit, and he uses Galvan.

MP
Old 05-31-2010, 08:36 PM

MP,
You're spot on. I had a PM chat with Bigfly and between you 2 guys, I'm convinced Galvan is an excellent choice.

By the way, I saw a green Abel Creek you posted in a picture a while back. Is that a current design. The porting looks different than the model now on their website? I recall thinking I liked the look of yours better than what I saw on their site... Maybe I just saw them from different angles and they are really the same?

Cheers
Old 05-31-2010, 08:42 PM

I think that the smallness of the photo and the lighting conditions threw you off. It is the same porting as the current one in the catalog.

MP