The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 04:41 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New Reels - Cheeky Fly Fishing

I'm amazed how saturated the $300+ fly reel market is! Just what we need, another expensive imported fly reel with pictures of the tropics.

I do like though they are going to Carbon drag system over PTFE/Teflon/Rulon.... just about all the spinning, casting, conventional went this way years ago. Carbon discs cost minimally more than others. But conduct heat better; ie reduce heat load at the drag face.

Might do better if they use more sex appeal and have more "cheek", bikini babes.

Pete A.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:57 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

It seems like they are sort of on track when trying to approach the younger, edgier generation of flyfisherman... it's obviously their marketing tactic. Cool logo, painfully "hip" and "edgy" product nomenclature and pictures of beer and dudes with dreadlocks in the gallery.

That being said, it'll probably be a long time before they take any real marketshare (if they can survive that long). They are not exactly re-inventing anything, just adding some weird color ways.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:10 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonism View Post
It seems like they are sort of on track when trying to approach the younger, edgier generation of flyfisherman...
I'm probably on the younger end of things, but not that edgy. Of course I'm more of a battenkill CFO or Hardy aesthetic myself.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:56 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

In stock at the local fly shop. They tell me that they are going to come out with an all silver version soon....seems the first ones are considered a little gaudy. Also found out that one of the owners lives close to here, just on the outside of the valley.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:37 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
It's a safe bet that none of us were around when Barnum said
"There's a sucker born every minute".
But that's just legend.

He didn't really say that exactly. What he actually said was "There's a customer born every minute" but you get the idea.
He was also the one who coined the phrase "Pull my finger." wasn't he?
MoscaPescador likes this.