The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/)
-   -   New Reels - Cheeky Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/139334-new-reels-cheeky-fly-fishing.html)

chicagojohn 05-19-2011 06:16 PM

New Reels - Cheeky Fly Fishing

There's a new reel manufacturer, Cheeky Fly Fishing, that is coming out with five different sized reel series available now, through 2012. The Ambush, a 5/6/7 weight reel will retail at $640, while the Mojo, a 7/8/9 weight reel, will retail at $690. The styling appears to be as different as the name of the company itself. The reels have ample backing capacity and modern drag components.

Time will tell how Cheeky reels fair in a market with plenty of quality reel manufacturers like Nautilus, Ross, Tibor, Galvan, Baur, Abel, Lamson, Hardy, Orvis, Loop, Sage, and Hatch.

From what I can tell, most of the Cheeky reels will carry quite a high price tag. In a market where consumers are searching for value and companies are beginning to outsource production, it will be interesting to monitor a new company such as this. Entering a market with high-priced, non-traditional designs, while competing directly with each manufacturer's elite reel line is not an easy way to break into an already saturated market.

Has anyone used these reels? I'm interested in hearing how these reels compete with the other premium reels in the same class, especially since they carry such a hefty price tag. Home | Cheeky Fly Fishing

Hardyreels 05-19-2011 06:41 PM

Re: New Reels - Cheeky Fly Fishing

Hi John,

Interesting name no doubt and it will be interesting to see how they do with the market entry thing. I took a look and saw nothing that would make me 'have to have one', but then that's just me.

Ard

mojo 05-19-2011 07:09 PM

Do I get any royalties on the 7/8/9 reel?

Rip Tide 05-19-2011 07:34 PM

Ya know what Barnum said !

ausablebrown 05-19-2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip Tide (Post 258478)
Ya know what Barnum said !

Forgive my youth, but I don't know what Barnum said...

And, If I bought one of those I'd have to send it to Abel and pay them 200 to turn in into a Brown Trout; the colors are hideous, especially the larger sized one.

Rip Tide 05-19-2011 08:05 PM

It's a safe bet that none of us were around when Barnum said
"There's a sucker born every minute".
But that's just legend.

He didn't really say that exactly. What he actually said was "There's a customer born every minute" but you get the idea. :rolleyes:

ausablebrown 05-19-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip Tide (Post 258509)
It's a safe bet that none of us were around when Barnum said
"There's a sucker born every minute".
But that's just legend.

He didn't really say that exactly. What he actually said was "There's a customer born every minute" but you get the idea. :rolleyes:

Ahhh...A fitting bit of sarcasm

Ill have to add that to my aresenal of sarcastic murmerings. I keep a hefty stash of them these days...I'm too young to be this curmudgeneous

FrankB2 05-19-2011 11:15 PM

Seems like a lot of marketing, without any beef. The first thing I noticed was the "Swag" heading at the top of the home page. Then the skateboard magazine font: We're Rad, Dude! Toss in a big price, and they must be onto something. :rolleyes:

Note: These might be great reels, but the marketing kills the deal for me. For a new company to talk about a lifetime warranty seems a bit premature to me. Let's see if they're still on the internet in 2012. ;)

Price: The Hardy Zane Ti Saltwater reel is $9,700, and there are other reels in the $1,000+ range. Intial offerings should be more modest, at least IMO.

caseywise 05-20-2011 01:03 AM

i hope they prosper, looks well made. just tone down the color schemes a bit.:confused:

casey

Glen Wright 05-20-2011 11:24 AM

I'm with Barnum on this one! Though that no shocker to anyone here i'm sure.:p