The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2011, 06:16 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough
Default New Reels - Cheeky Fly Fishing

There's a new reel manufacturer, Cheeky Fly Fishing, that is coming out with five different sized reel series available now, through 2012. The Ambush, a 5/6/7 weight reel will retail at $640, while the Mojo, a 7/8/9 weight reel, will retail at $690. The styling appears to be as different as the name of the company itself. The reels have ample backing capacity and modern drag components.

Time will tell how Cheeky reels fair in a market with plenty of quality reel manufacturers like Nautilus, Ross, Tibor, Galvan, Baur, Abel, Lamson, Hardy, Orvis, Loop, Sage, and Hatch.

From what I can tell, most of the Cheeky reels will carry quite a high price tag. In a market where consumers are searching for value and companies are beginning to outsource production, it will be interesting to monitor a new company such as this. Entering a market with high-priced, non-traditional designs, while competing directly with each manufacturer's elite reel line is not an easy way to break into an already saturated market.

Has anyone used these reels? I'm interested in hearing how these reels compete with the other premium reels in the same class, especially since they carry such a hefty price tag. Home | Cheeky Fly Fishing
Old 05-19-2011, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: New Reels - Cheeky Fly Fishing

Hi John,

Interesting name no doubt and it will be interesting to see how they do with the market entry thing. I took a look and saw nothing that would make me 'have to have one', but then that's just me.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-19-2011, 07:09 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Do I get any royalties on the 7/8/9 reel?
williamhj and grassonfly like this.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:34 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Ya know what Barnum said !
Old 05-19-2011, 07:51 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Ya know what Barnum said !
Forgive my youth, but I don't know what Barnum said...

And, If I bought one of those I'd have to send it to Abel and pay them 200 to turn in into a Brown Trout; the colors are hideous, especially the larger sized one.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:05 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

It's a safe bet that none of us were around when Barnum said
"There's a sucker born every minute".
But that's just legend.

He didn't really say that exactly. What he actually said was "There's a customer born every minute" but you get the idea.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:35 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
It's a safe bet that none of us were around when Barnum said
"There's a sucker born every minute".
But that's just legend.

He didn't really say that exactly. What he actually said was "There's a customer born every minute" but you get the idea.
Ahhh...A fitting bit of sarcasm

Ill have to add that to my aresenal of sarcastic murmerings. I keep a hefty stash of them these days...I'm too young to be this curmudgeneous
Old 05-19-2011, 11:15 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like a lot of marketing, without any beef. The first thing I noticed was the "Swag" heading at the top of the home page. Then the skateboard magazine font: We're Rad, Dude! Toss in a big price, and they must be onto something.

Note: These might be great reels, but the marketing kills the deal for me. For a new company to talk about a lifetime warranty seems a bit premature to me. Let's see if they're still on the internet in 2012.

Price: The Hardy Zane Ti Saltwater reel is $9,700, and there are other reels in the $1,000+ range. Intial offerings should be more modest, at least IMO.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:03 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i hope they prosper, looks well made. just tone down the color schemes a bit.

casey
woodrivertroutbum likes this.

ARFE
Old 05-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

I'm with Barnum on this one! Though that no shocker to anyone here i'm sure.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 05-20-2011 at 11:44 AM.