Do I need a new rod and reel

dsssox13

Reaction score
How important is it to have a quality reel? I have a cahill 2 it's a cabelas package reel so along with it I have the rod, a cabelas stowaway, 8'6" 5wt. Now I tried casting a popper and a wooly bugger and had a little bit of difficulty casting, both larger/heavier flies. If I should look into purchasing a new rod and reel, what are some suggestions? Not looking to spend a ton of money but around 200$

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am not up to speed on current rod models but will address the reel question. Depending on what you fish for if your Cahill reel has a palming rim and enough drag to prevent over spooling when you strip line from it you should be good to go with that. If you are fishing for larger game fish them a larger reel having a good disc drag will be on your list. These are available right here in the forum market place from Allen Fly Fishing.

Ard

mojo

Reaction score
Poppers and wooley buggers. Big flies=wind resistance. Poppers are more for bass and wooley buggers are for sinking lines.
Fly line is fickle and so are rods. Match the right line to the rod and the right fly to the line/leader combo.

ant

Reaction score
You might want to think about a longer rod or a faster action. I have a 9' St Croix, medium action, that I love (I think it's been discontinued now) in the 5 wt range and don't have any problems casting the larger stuff. But I had a 9' slower action rod that was a little more problematic.

FrankB2

Reaction score
Well.....I like using light rods lately. This past weekend I was fishing streamers and #6 foam beetles (BIG!) with my 8'6" 4wt. A properly matched leader helps
tremedously, and bigger flies on a light line mean you need to slow your casting stroke to match the line speed. Your line speed is going to slow when tossing wind resistant flies, so watch the line while casting. Using a haul or double haul can help propel the bigger stuff as well. Try a 3X leader.

Using a heavier leader, try to improve your casting stroke/timing. The answer to your original question is always "YES" ( :D ), but you'll still have to adjust your casting and leader. Mojo has already said this, but I'll say it again. ;)

Reels: I agree with Ard, but once again, if you want a cool reel it's your money. ;)

cwg

Reaction score
How important is it to have a quality reel? I have a cahill 2 it's a cabelas package reel so along with it I have the rod, a cabelas stowaway, 8'6" 5wt. Now I tried casting a popper and a wooly bugger and had a little bit of difficulty casting, both larger/heavier flies. If I should look into purchasing a new rod and reel, what are some suggestions? Not looking to spend a ton of money but around 200$
I'm by no means new to fishing, but new back into fly fishing.
as said, if youre going for big fish, quality reel is crucial...but I have that same reel and fish to 3-4 pounds aren't so much as a blip on the radar screen as far as I'm concerned....if I had two hundred bucks that suddenly had to leave my house-...I'd be surfing the classifieds to fill a need to non-existent problem!!I saw a combo that would have been quite the deal!

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi dsssox13,

Woolly Buggers and Poppers come in all sizes and what you are fishing for will influence how big the fly needs to be. If you are fishing for Pan Fish then you need to down size your buggers and poppers. If you are fishing for Bass, Pike and similar fish you may need to be looking at a larger rod. You can also over line your rod to fish bigger poppers but it will slow your rod's action even more.

If it was me I would be thinking about an 8wt to handle the bigger fish and flies. A 5wt and 8wt rods will cover a wide range of different fish and flies.

Frank

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I am just going to reply to dsssox13's thread title. I think that there are adequate replies to the contents.

Yes. You always need a new rod and reel.

MP