The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 02:31 PM

odatria is on a distinguished road
Default What reel for TFO TiCr X 8wt 9' Rod?

I have read many of the "what reel" questions in this forum and have found this question to be one that is not easily answered. Mostly because of lack of information an the askers part. With that in mind, I will attempt to give you as much information as possible and go from there.

I have been fly fishing for about 4 years with a TFO 5-6wt NXT Combo. I recently purchased a TFO Professional Series 5wt Rod and have been using the cast aluminum NXT 1 Reel from my combo for both rods. I fish exclusively on still water ponds and lakes in East Texas. Mainly for Panfish. However, lately I have been wanting to target larger fish, such as Bass and Catfish, and needed a rod that was more suitable for purposefully targeting these species. I fish from the bank, so I needed something powerful enough to reach the areas I cant get close enough to.

I knew I wanted to stick with TFO. First of all because I have been really pleased with their product. Second, They're local(ish). Their offices are about an hour away from me. And third, they have a no fault warranty on their rods. (I broke my first TFO rod trying to run back to my car during a sudden rain storm. I walked in, handed them the rod, and they gave me a new rod and a couple of hats for the road. No questions asked!)

After reading the intarwebs for a couple of weeks and having a few phone conversations with TFO, I decided on a TFO TiCr X 8wt 9' 4pc rod. Now I am searching for the right reel. I will be fishing topwater some, but also plan to use weighted line as it gets hotter and the fish go deeper. What would you suggest?

My Budget is $250.

Thank you!
Old 05-25-2011, 05:24 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What reel for TFO TiCr X 8wt 9' Rod?

Ross CLA - $230
Lamson Guru - $229

Both are fully machined. The Lamson offers a sealed drag system. The Ross CLA also has a very nice drag system, however it is not sealed.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:54 PM

odatria is on a distinguished road

I checked out the lamson guru and read some reviews. Looks to be a solid reel! If I were to choose this reel for the above stated fishing applications, would you suggest the 7-8 or the 8-9 for my 8wt rod?
Old 05-25-2011, 10:02 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

I second the Ross CLA i have them on both my 9wt and 7wt TicrX's
Old 05-25-2011, 10:21 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by odatria View Post
If I were to choose this reel for the above stated fishing applications, would you suggest the 7-8 or the 8-9 for my 8wt rod?
If you plan to go with a Guru, go with the Guru 3.5. I have sold plenty of 8 weight TiCr and TiCrX rods with Guru 3.5 reels. The balance with line feels just right. If you plan on using a true topwater floating line like a Rio Outbound Short or a Sage Bass Taper, you will need the extra capacity of the 3.5 model.

Dennis

PS: The TiCrX throws a Rio Outbound Short WF8F beautifully.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:17 PM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough

+1 for the lamson guru.