The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 10:22 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of
Default Thinking New Reel

My old Ross Flycast has had it's better days the drag is almost wore out to point where a 12" rainbow will make squeal with it all the way on. Anyone have any suggestions on good quality reel that doesn't break the bank . I have just purchased a Sage Z-Axis 9' 4wt. so please give advice. Was thinking about an Allen reel
Old 06-03-2011, 10:46 AM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice
Default Re: Thinking New Reel

i like the Allen reels, i have the Alpha5/6 and the Alpha2 7/8 and like them both. another great option is the Lamson Guru or if you want to go cheaper the Konic.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:57 AM

mack_s is on a distinguished road

I second the Lamson Guru...I'm eyeing that one myself for a new rod I'm wrapping.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:58 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Well...since you just purchased a new Z I don't think the closeout Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor would break your bank at $159. They are on sale at orvis.com for 159, and I'm sure you can get one soon cheaper than that when dealers start to liquidate and bring in the new Hydros. I never thought the LA was worth the $200 they wanted, being made in China; but on closeout I'd consider it. In fact, there is a Orvis Battenkill LA II on e-bay for $99 + 9 shipping, says "New" but no box or reel pouch. Here's a link

NEW Orvis Batenkill Large Arbor II Trout Fly Reel 3-5wt | eBay

There are also two new Hydros listed in the $150's.

If you are thinking Allen, I have no reason to not recommend them. I have the 5/7 trout and I ordered the 3/5 when justin had them on sale for $70-ish a couple weeks back. You won't find a better reel for that price. Go to the live chat and see if he can honor the sale price from a couple weeks back for you. Tell him you are from the forum. If he wont sell it that cheap PM me, I'd probably part with mine for what I paid plus the shipping to you. I just bought it because it was a good deal...I don't even have a rod to put it on.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:20 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Guru would be a good call.

$265 for a Ross Evo LT 1.5. I sold a Grey Mist colored one with a Z-Axis recently. It looked sweet.

$220 for a Galvan Rush 4 LT. It is a Galvan Torque 4, but not as machined. This reel is becoming a local favorite here in Nor Cal. The Galvan website does not list the reel.

Dennis
Old 06-03-2011, 07:31 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

+1 for the lamson. super smooth drag system and nice light design

ARFE
Old 06-03-2011, 09:44 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm interested to hear about the 9' 4wt Z-Axis. Seems like it would be a nice rod! Dennis, what happened to the Abel Creek LA for this weight Z-Axis? I've been getting ready to buy one for about a year now.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:30 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

there are some great deals on lamson velocity reels going on right now. a 1.5 model should suit you well.
Fly Shop Closeouts at Fishing the Cape Product: Save 40% on a Lamson Velocity 1.5 Large Arbor Hard Alox Fly Reel for 4 or 5 Weights (#38438)

casey

ARFE
Old 06-03-2011, 10:46 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

There's a never ending line of folks on this website that are willing to tell you how to part with your money .

Personally, I fix my reels when I have a problem
Just this week I rebuilt a reel that was totally "frozen up" and it now with a little work it functions as good as new.

As a pubic service, if anyone has reels that work less than to their satisfaction, feel free to send them to me to be "recycled"
Old 06-03-2011, 11:36 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
I'm interested to hear about the 9' 4wt Z-Axis. Seems like it would be a nice rod! Dennis, what happened to the Abel Creek LA for this weight Z-Axis? I've been getting ready to buy one for about a year now.
Frank,
You are a goof! I'm purposely keeping the price point below $300. If Stim is willing to part with $310 (or more for a custom print), the Abel Creek 2 LA would be a good fit.

Dennis