The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2006, 01:48 PM

starski is on a distinguished road
Default Large arbor reel

Hey all,New kid on the forums.... I was looking to get a large arbor reel in a 5wt and would like to get some feed back. Here is the list of the ones I was looking at.

Budget:Pflueger President
Cortland Endurance

Mid Price:
Cabelas SLA
Orvis Mach III

High Price:
Nautilus FW

I currently have a Pflueger Trion that I will be putting on a 4 weigh rod I am getting. I am very happy with the performance of the Pflueger. The large arbor has my interest with the fast retrieve and line memory. I know that the selection above is a large range or price and functionality but would like to get pros and cons on these reels. Any input or suggestions? It will be used mostly for Trout (rainbows, browns....etc.)

"Do not take life too seriously you will not get out alive. Go ahead and write that down."
Old 09-21-2006, 02:27 PM

Coster is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Large arbor reel

I have two of the Pflueger President 2056 reels. I have had them for 5 trips now and love them. I use one for my floating line and one for my sinking line. They are a little heavier than other reels but thats all personal preference. I really am happy with the performance of the reel thus far. The drag seems just as good as the higher priced reels. Good Luck!
Old 09-21-2006, 03:03 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

I've been considering the Cortland Endurance for my 8 wt. I have seen and touch the Cortland Endurance I which would be the 5/6wt reel and it is light and very durable with a nice disc drag system. I like it and will most likely pick it up as soon as my ship rows in.

I guess it all depends on the prey you plan to chase. Since it is Trout on a 5wt, I believe the Cortland Endurance would suit you well. If I was after Tarpon I would consider high end reel you looking into. Otherwise, I believe anything else would be overkill.

Check out The Full Creel Fly Shop you can get it for $89 which is hard to beat. Give Steve a call at 800-811-8211 and he'll get you set up.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Terry
Old 09-21-2006, 03:22 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

You mentioned the Mach, but I would go with the Battenkill LA, basically cause it is lighter and very nice on a 5 wt. I had the Mach and used it on my 5 and 6, but went back to the LA.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:38 PM

troutbum is on a distinguished road

I have a older Bauer lm1 and a m3,both are fantastic reels.They both seem to match up well on every rod I have used them on.
Aaron
Old 09-22-2006, 11:32 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

For Trout Any Standard Reel Will Do. I Fished With A Medalist For Quite A Few Years & It Took Some Hard Use & I Still Have Italong With The Others I Bought Over The Years. I Purchased A Pfluger President Also This Year & Love It. I 've Caught
Some Fairly Large Trout & Some Landlocks With & It Performed Great. The Drag Is Smooth But I Perfer To Just Palm The Spool Anyway. Best Advice Is To Buy What You Can Easily Afford & Spend More On A Good Rod, Thats Where You'll Notice The Most Difference
While Fishing.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:23 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50
For Trout Any Standard Reel Will Do. I Fished With A Medalist For Quite A Few Years & It Took Some Hard Use & I Still Have Italong With The Others I Bought Over The Years. I Purchased A Pfluger President Also This Year & Love It. I 've CaughtSome Fairly Large Trout & Some Landlocks With & It Performed Great. The Drag Is Smooth But I Perfer To Just Palm The Spool Anyway. Best Advice Is To Buy What You Can Easily Afford & Spend More On A Good Rod, Thats Where You'll Notice The Most DifferenceWhile Fishing.

A good fly line will be worth it's weight in gold also. Some will say that the reel is only a place to keep your line, hmmmmmmmmm.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:49 PM

greenriverflyfisher is on a distinguished road

I have to agree with Joni and Fishn50. I generally view a reel for trout as line storage and would rather palm the reel over a drag. BUT, I have worked with a lot of inexperienced flyfishermen and the drag is invaluable for the first big fish experience. A good fly line IS worth it weight in gold!!!
Old 09-28-2006, 09:33 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

I bought an Okuma SLV large arbor for $50, and liked it so well I bought another the next week. I use it mostly for bass and panfish, but also for trout. Much better and lighter than the graphite-framed Air Stream or whatever it's called.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 03-31-2007, 08:53 PM

MerryPrankster is on a distinguished road

I have two Pflueger Presidents (the 3/4 - which I use for 3 wt and for my 5wt line with a little less backing and the 7/8) and think they are some of the best reels made. I also have Trion and think the President feels lighter.

In the past, I think Pflueger has had a reputation for selling cheap products. But there's a difference between cheap and inexpensive. I think the President series fly reels are a perfect example. They are large arbor reels made from machined aluminum and have a silky smooth drag. I've used large arbor reels costing upwards of $500 and think the Pflueger Presidents are every bit as good. And they only cost $130.

I didn't get my President reels until the end of last season, so I can't attest to their longevity. But I can say, I think it was because of the smooth drag on the President that I was able to land the largest Land Locked Salmon of my life on the final day of the season last fall. I hooked into a four pounder while fishing a small nymph on 7x tippet. At hook up, it made it's first jump and I saw that it was a big fish. It immediately turned to head down stream where there was a large quick flow. I put the fish on the reel and put the drag to it. The smooth drag slowed the fish down and kept it out of the fast water while not breaking the light tippet.

Just to show how much I like these reels: I work for a shop that sells fly-fishing gear and can get a substantial discount. Unfortunately we don't sell Pflueger reels. So even though I could have gotten a Ross or Tibor for less than half their normal cost. I choice to spend full price on Pflueger Presidents.