The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 09:54 PM

flyfishingjack is on a distinguished road
Default New Pflueger Medalist - How do I know it's spooled correctly and setup on rod correct

Hi everyone.

I'm new to fly fishing (2 weeks to be exact). I just bought a beginner setup and it came with a Pflueger Medalist 1494 reel.

1) How do I know it's setup for right hand retrieve properly? (in other words the line is facing the right way, etc.)

2) There are 3 straight pin guides that hold the reel together. 2 of them are on this silver/aluminum plate part. Which two pins to I feed the line through before going into the bottom rod guide?

I'm sorry for the dumb questions, I'm new and this reel didn't come with a manual and couldn't find one online.

Can someone show me a pic of how their reel/rod is setup and how the line is run through the first bottom guide?

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:01 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Pflueger Medalist - How do I know it's spooled correctly and setup on rod cor

Newer Metalists are now set up for left hand retrieve out of the box (blister pack ) If your reel came new in the package, it should have included instructions on how the reverse it. It will say "conversion to right hand". That would include both flipping the ratchet on the spindle and moving the line guard pillars.
If you're a right handed angler and used to fishing with spinning gear, the left hand retrieve may work best for you and that's why Medalists are now set up that way.
If you're left handed or prefer the traditional style of switching hands to retrieve, by all means switch it around.

To tell if your line is "facing the right way" tighten the drag all the way. The direction that you can still turn the spool would be retrieve or reeling in.
The 2 pillars that are attached are the line guard and the line feeds out between them with the reel set up on the rod so the line guard faces north toward the rod tip

This is from earlier paper work when the reels came RH retrieve

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 06-18-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: New Pflueger Medalist - How do I know it's spooled correctly and setup on rod cor

Excellent information! Like I always say, if Rip Tide doesn't know then you don't need to............ Thank you for always being on these Paul

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-23-2011, 03:01 PM

thanks for all the info everyone. So please look at pics. Did I set it up correctly? Is the line suppose to be going through the aluminum metal plates? Am I setup for left hand retrieve correctly?

Old 06-23-2011, 03:22 PM

burch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishingjack View Post
thanks for all the info everyone. So please look at pics. Did I set it up correctly? Is the line suppose to be going through the aluminum metal plates? Am I setup for left hand retrieve correctly?

yep, looks like your in there.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:23 PM

GuyFromLaw will become famous soon enoughGuyFromLaw will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hi everyone.

I'm new to fly fishing (2 weeks to be exact). I just bought a beginner setup and it came with a Pflueger Medalist 1494 reel.

1) How do I know it's setup for right hand retrieve properly? (in other words the line is facing the right way, etc.)

2) There are 3 straight pin guides that hold the reel together. 2 of them are on this silver/aluminum plate part. Which two pins to I feed the line through before going into the bottom rod guide?

I'm sorry for the dumb questions, I'm new and this reel didn't come with a manual and couldn't find one online.

Can someone show me a pic of how their reel/rod is setup and how the line is run through the first bottom guide?

Thanks.
Hi there Jack,

I seen your reel and remembered I have a similar spool lying around unmatched.

It's a good few years old but in perfect structural condition with no warps or bashes. If it fits your reel then I'd be happy to send it to you as a spare spool, FOC. It's just been lying around my house for years.

The outside face diameter is 88mm. The inside face is 66mm diameter. The depth is 33mm.

If it fits, someone would be as well having it.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:50 PM

thanks for all the help everyone! I can't wait to go out this weekend and try it all out! what a great forum - can't wait for myself to become good at this sport and help contribute to the community. Cheers!

GuyFromLaw: PM sent!
Old 06-23-2011, 05:22 PM

GuyFromLaw will become famous soon enoughGuyFromLaw will become famous soon enough

Quote:
thanks for all the help everyone! I can't wait to go out this weekend and try it all out! what a great forum - can't wait for myself to become good at this sport and help contribute to the community. Cheers!

GuyFromLaw: PM sent!
On it's way tomorrow. Tight lines Jack.