older click n pawl c,d,e,f,g,h,heh,hdh.....

araitim

Reaction score
i recieved an Ocean City 77 older click n pawl reel with a little indicator disc on the back for fathers day with the letters C,D,E,F,G,H,HEH,HDH,HCH and GBG punched on it. what exactly is it and what do the letters stand for?

milt spawn

Reaction score
It sounds like the old line weight designations to me, someone with more experience than I should be able to distinguish what they are. There are members here with OC's. milt.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
If the disc rotates there will be an index mark, these were for marking the reel as a reminder of which line you had spooled on them. The sets of letter characters are line weight designations. Never had an OC. but have heard that they were a company who did this. We have some members who own them and they will tell you for sure.

Ard

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi araitim,

Ard is correct that it was a reminder as to what line was on the reel. The B, C, D, E, F, G were level lines. The HEH, HDH, HCH and GBG were called double tapered lines. It effect they was no real tapers just a H level line spliced to a E level line and then another H level line on the other end. The belly E, D, C, and B were larger in diameter than the H end section lines.

Later they came up with weight forward lines that were like GBF that was a G level front section then spliced to a B level belly and then the F level running line. I use to buy a HCH fly line and cut the front HC line off at around 30' based on how it cast and then splice on a F level running line. So I would end up with 2 HCF weight forward lines from one HCH line.

Frank

Last edited: