The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2006, 06:00 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light
Default Restoring an old reel and rod

I've got a model 1110 Southbend reel I'm cleaning up. I acquired it after it sat around for years, and there's a lot of grit and gunk. Am I OK to use something like a parts cleaner or degreaser on it (such as found in automotive stores)?

Also, it came with a three piece fiberglass rod (label says Silaflex, but no mention of Browning). It has some scotch tape residue on it and some other sticky substances. Is it safe to take a bug and tar remover to it?
Old 10-11-2006, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Restoring an old reel and rod

On the reel, You would probably be alright to use a very mild solvent, but I would keep it on the mild side.

On the rod, be gentle with your cleaner selection there as well. I would try something like orange oil first to try to remove the junk. Be especially careful around the thread wraps for the guides, as removing the sealer on that would cause the most problems down the road.

You may have a gem of a rod there, I seem to recall in my research on Glass rods that the pre-Browning Silaflex rods are prized by many.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

A woman thing I know, but DAWN DISH SOAP, cuts grease and is very gentle.
Be sure and re-lube reel with a good reel lube or something with graphite.
Also, lighter fluid removes glue nicely. put a little on a rag and wipe away.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:37 PM

Woolly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher for men
I've got a model 1110 Southbend reel I'm cleaning up. I acquired it after it sat around for years, and there's a lot of grit and gunk. Am I OK to use something like a parts cleaner or degreaser on it (such as found in automotive stores)?Also, it came with a three piece fiberglass rod (label says Silaflex, but no mention of Browning). It has some scotch tape residue on it and some other sticky substances. Is it safe to take a bug and tar remover to it?
Don't ever use any type of auto parts petroleum based cleaners on rods. Especially bug & tar remover. It's a bad thing on the rod finish and the epoxies that hold fiberglass and graphite fiber rods together.

Water soluble cleaners you can buy at your local market like Simple Green or Formula 409 will remove the tape residue from your rod if you soak it long enough and wipe it clean. Rinse with clean water and your done. Clean your reel with the same stuff using a small brush and Q-Tip, rinse with water, blow dry and lube it up again.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Wooly, thanks for your post that clarified some ideas I was mostly guessing at in my response. I'm glad that you were able to provide us more concrete answers on what would safely work.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:47 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for all of the information about this. It's all very helpful. Once I get the thing cleaned up, I'll let every one know how she casts.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:30 PM

Don is on a distinguished road

I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to say, Do Not use Simple Green on anodized aluminum as it can adversly affect the finish. The military has banned its use on aircraft and weapons such as the M16 for this reason.
"I was starving; I had two types of dysentery, and beriberi. Then I remember what happened to Job when he asked, 'why me?' He got slam-dunked. 'Why me?' is an irregular question. Don't ask it."--Col. Nick Rowe on his captivity in N. Viet Nam
Old 03-17-2007, 10:13 PM

yotahilux is on a distinguished road

Not to hijack...

I have a browning silaflex model 922980. This rod was given to by a friend to get me into the sport. Is this a good rod to start with?

Chuck