The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2010, 05:56 PM

davet140 is on a distinguished road
Default Reel and line for trout?

When I took fly fishing lessons, the instructor told me that the reel just holds line, doesn't have to be fancy.

I just got my first fly rod for trout, a Cabelas traditions II to start with, and I'm wondering what reel and Line to buy for it.

As far as line is concerned I was told by the same instructor I shouldn't skimp on this. What do you guys think?
Old 06-13-2010, 08:29 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reel and line for trout?

He's right.
What size rod did you get? A 9' 6wt would require a larger reel than a 7.5' 4wt, and that info will help us to give a better suggestion. I will tell you that a $45 line is about as pricey as you need to get right now. There's no need to drop $100 on one of the ultra premium lines at this point.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:17 PM

rockhoppernc is on a distinguished road

I 2nd on the line...you just wanna get a reel that will help balance the rod...
and to tell you you dont need to spend alot on a reel,,,id does just hold the line...when you start fishing for bigger fish then you need a better reel,,,
if I were you I would get a used reel...thats what I do...then save for something better down the line...
O and have fun,,,,
Old 06-14-2010, 07:30 AM

I got the 5wt 9ft

I'm going to get a 6wt next and maybe have the 5wt for my wife who took the class with me.

I'm not spending large amounts of money because I got the rod at cabelas on sale, which is cool because it gets me on the water.

I also have an 8wt that I use on my kayak in the salt for stripers and blues.

I find it easier to cast the 5 or 6wt though.

I haven't thought of getting used I'll look into it and yeah any recommendations on Line?
Old 06-14-2010, 09:38 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Premium Lines
Rio Gold
Scientific Anglers Trout

Price Point Lines
Rio Mainstream Trout
Scientific Anglers Mastery Headstart

You can get inexpensive reels and line though one of the forum sponsors, allenflyfishing.com. I won't comment on its products, but many members seem to be happy with them.

MP
Old 06-14-2010, 07:48 PM

Bakerloo is on a distinguished road

I have the Allen 3/5 Trout reel and line. It is matched with a 9' 5wt from The Fly Shop in Redding. I fished the combo last weekend. I was very happy with how it all performed.

The Allen products are great values.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:55 AM

stasher1 will become famous soon enoughstasher1 will become famous soon enough

Hard to go wrong with Cortland 444 "Peach" and a Pflueger Medalist 1494.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:13 PM

I went to the local flyshop and got a Sage Performance taper Line, WF-5-F. Looks like it's made by Rio for Sage and normally it cost 65 buck I got it for 40 bucks. The asked me if the rod I had was a fast action I told him it was and he recommended it.

As far as reel goes I ordered a Pflueger Medalist 1494 but it seemed too small so I would have to order a bigger Pflueger Medalist or go with something else.

If I can I'll go for a used Orvis battenkill but if not I'd rather spend the money on flies
Old 06-15-2010, 09:43 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The line and the 1494 will be fine. You probably will need about 50 yards of backing. Just go back to the local shop and have the shop guy spool it up for you. While you are there, buy some flies.

MP
Old 06-16-2010, 07:53 AM

I ordered the 1492 and the one I needed was the 1494. Gotta exchange it because the 1492 holds no backing.

Thanks for all your help guys, I got the Cabelas Traditions II 5wt, gonna put it on the medalist 1494 with the new Sage freshwater line I got.

All bargain stuff but it will put me on the water and I can always upgrade later if need be. Leaves me more money for flies

My wife took the fly fishing class with me and seems to like it, Should I get another 5wt or go for a 6wt just to have something different?

Thanks