The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 04:46 PM

pgmuzzy is on a distinguished road
Default Reel for a Lifetime?

Hey all,

I've been awarded the chance to break the bank on a reel to fit my 5wt Winston, and am looking to purchase a reel that I'll be happy fishing with for the rest of my life. I don't have the budget for a bogan or anything like that, but am looking to spend upwards of 600 if need be. Any suggestions? I'll be mostly fishing streams and rivers.

cheers!
Old 07-08-2011, 06:52 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Reel for a Lifetime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgmuzzy View Post
Hey all,

I've been awarded the chance to break the bank on a reel to fit my 5wt Winston, and am looking to purchase a reel that I'll be happy fishing with for the rest of my life. I don't have the budget for a bogan or anything like that, but am looking to spend upwards of 600 if need be. Any suggestions? I'll be mostly fishing streams and rivers.

cheers!
I'll recommend 3, that way others can chime in.
Abel, Tibor (Spring Creek) or a Hardy.
Then there will be some that tell you it just holds line and get an Okuma or Pflueger because it does good on their TFO.
But if you want a nice reel because you WANT ONE and can afford it, those are MY choices.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have fished with the same Hardy Featherweight since 1979. This reel is used on both a 7' 9" 5 weight Far & Fine and a 6' 6" 3 weight flea rod. If your rod is a 9' 5 weight I would put a vintage but mint condition Hardy Princess on it. The reel should balance a 9' rod and will last forever. Like most members here I have more than one reel but the old Lightweight Series reels are timeless and functional. If drag is an issue then a Marquis would be a better choice because of the exposed rim for drag assistance.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto on the Abel or Hardy.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 07-08-2011, 10:19 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

for the 500 range
Vanquish The Waterworks Lamson

ARFE
Old 07-08-2011, 11:35 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Definitely check out the Tibor reels. I have a dark green Spring Creek on a 3 wt Biit and a dark green Tailwater on my JWF 5 wt. The dark green reels match the Winston green.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:09 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

If you have the money, don't pass up some premium reels. They just seem like right fits.

Abel Creek 2 Large Arbor or Abel TR 2 - Deep Green looks great.
Tibor Light Tailwater - Moss Green looks great.
Hardy Princess - It's a classy old school reel that just fits a Winston.

Dennis
Old 07-09-2011, 06:04 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Which Winston do you have?
Old 07-09-2011, 07:32 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
I'll recommend 3, that way others can chime in.
Abel, Tibor (Spring Creek) or a Hardy.
I realize you don't have to follow the recommendations of the manufacturer, but just FYI for pgmuzzy: Tibor's Spring Creek was designed for 3-4 wt rods (100 yds w/ WF4F line). The Tailwater is the exact same design, but intended for 5-6 wt rods. (120 yds w/ WF5F line).
Old 07-09-2011, 08:07 AM

jager is on a distinguished road

I went through much the same thinking when Tom Morgan called a few weeks ago to let me know my new rod was ready to ship. Since that is the best rod I ever expect to own, I wanted an equally fine reel.

I spent a couple days looking at Abel and Ross and Tibor. Outstanding reels that no doubt would provide a lifetime of yeoman service. I burned more than a few hours perusing a lot of old threads here.

In the end, I simply sprang for an extra spool for the Hardy Featherweight I already owned. (I use an SA XPS WF on my other 3-weight rod and wanted to use a double-taper line on the Morgan).

In the end, it was the classic aesthetic of the Hardy reel, along with its timeless function, which brought me back full-circle.

Congratulations and good luck on whatever you choose. Deciding on a new rod or reel is fun!

blog: http://jeffreyhughes.net/wordpress/