Loomis guru or Orvis large arbor battenkill?

southerfly

Reaction score
Im ordering my 5 weight 9" sage z axis tonight and was wondering what reel I should go for, the orvis or loomis. The battenkill is a little lighter. If there are any other reels you recommend im all ears.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
With a 9' rod I wouldn't go for the lightest reel. Most 9' graphite rods I have had tend to feel tip heavy once you string up the line. I use reels that some would consider too big or too heavy but they balance things out just right. Here is a for instance, I have a 9' 5 weight PM-10, on it I found that a Marquis #7 feels about right. The reel has line and backing on and I can only guess at the weight empty. My guess is 5.5 ounces at least, the extra weight is not an issue when fishing and when just walking along carrying the rod it feels just right hanging in your hand.

The unfortunate truth of reel to rod selection is this, you actually have to have a reel with backing and line to try on the rod before you know what feels right. The other option is to run with the herd and buy whatever someone else says you'll like. Considering the price of the rod I would take my time and find shops who have reels loaded so you can try them. Stick the reel on and thread up the line, then see if the rod hangs in your hand as balanced or is it tip heavy. If tip heavy, move up to the next step in reel size.

And remember, you asked............

Ard

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I cannot remember the last time that I handled the current Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor, so I won't give you an opinion on that.

I have sold many Lamson Gurus to people who wanted a good reel to match the Sage Z-Axis. The Guru has a sealed drag system that has a wide range of adjustablility. It may lack some resistance in the high end range, but that is acceptable for a trout reel. It doesn't have the more expensive finish that you will find on higher end Lamsons, but it still is a workhorse.

Another reel that you may want to look at would be a Galvan Rush 5 LT. It is basically a Galvan Torque 5, but it is not as machined out.

Dennis

nerka

Reaction score
I would agree with both of the previous posters. I bought a Galvan Torgue 8 before this season and have enjoyed every second of use. For a 5wt I would agree with Dennis about the Rush. If you want to splurge a bit, the spoke is basically a prettier version of the torgue and has a drag that can stop a runaway go kart. It is also moderate weight.

Ard also hits an important point in considering line weight. I use the 8 size reel on my 10wt rod because the line and amount of backing I use is substantial. 100ft line with a 400grn head plus 200 yards of 50lb backing. That is not an insignifigant amount of weight when considering the balance of the reel to rod.
You might also want to check out the Ross F1 in the same price range as the Guru. I have held these and they feel light, but are sturdy and with a solid drag.

hookworm

Reaction score
I've never heard of a Loomis Guru....Lamson Guru I have.
The Ross F1 retails for $450+ so it is not even close to the same price range.
I have been looking at these two reels myself...Lamson Guru or Orvis LA

Davo

Reaction score
I have a Bettenkill LA on my 7wt streamer rod and really like it. Having no experience with the Lamson I'm unable to give you a side by side comparison.

comeonavs

Reaction score
I have a Guru on my Z-axis and am 100% satisifed (actually love it )

SA Mastery GPX line finished out a great outfit

gt05254

Reaction score
I have to admit to owning sort of a lot of Orvis B-kill Large Arbors, all made in England. They are very good reels, excellent drags, and look pretty nice in a large arbor sort of way. (hint hint, I needed to get rid of a V and its on an un-named auction site right now).

If you need/want a bit more heft in a reel, consider Orvis mid-arbors. I, uh, seem to have several of those, too, and they also have good looks, drags and machining. Their price point is attractive, too.

You'd think I worked for Orvis. I don't.
Gary