The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 05:11 PM

arkman is on a distinguished road
Default Problems with My Alpha

This summer I've noticed a problem with my alpha reel that is really frustrating.

At first I was getting really proud of myself. I thought I was getting a lot better at casting. I'd rip out a bunch of line, do a few cast and the next thing I knew I was at the end of the line. Rip some more out and a few cast later I was pulling line off the reel as I casted. Started feeling pretty darn good at how my casting had been progressing.

Then, the last time I was out I realized what was going on. As I false cast (maybe a little more than I should, but hey I need to right now) my reel is actually reeling in line. Every false cast the reel spins back maybe 1-2 turns. So after a cast or two I've reeled up a bunch of line.

Its super frustrating. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is it a possible defect? I've tried adjusting it but it doesn't seem to help. I'm not the best caster to start with but when I all of the sudden hit the end of the slack line it really kills me. That reel might have to come off if I can't figure this out.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:18 PM

hookworm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Problems with My Alpha

It's probably from your casting stroke. I have a Alpha and Trout and don't really have this problem.

Last edited by hookworm; 07-14-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:40 PM

arkman is on a distinguished road

It very well could be my casting stroke but I'm not convinced. I've been casting for several years with many different reels. Admittedly I'm not a great caster but this is the first time I've ever had this problem. It could be that the reel is substantial enough (all my other have been cheapy plastic or graphite reels) that with my stroke it wants to do this.

If in fact it is my stroke is there anything I can do to fix it? Something I should try to do or not to do?
Old 07-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi arkman,

It is a combination of your casting style and the reel design. The reel has no outgoing click and the action is ball bearing smooth. So while you are doing multiple false cast and probably rapidly, The inertia of the spool is moving it forward. I am not sure how this can happen if you are keeping control of your line. Maybe a small amount but not what you are describing. When I cast and strip line back I coil the line in my line hand as I make my strips. So when I am ready to cast the line is in my line hand and is feed from there. There is no real slack line available for the spool to take up unless I want it to.

Frank
Old 07-13-2011, 06:05 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

I have 3 of the Trouts 5/7 reels and have only used the Red one at this point. (Beautiful reels) I have not had issues with locking up, but have had the reel spin freely when I pull off line. Sucks having to stop to clean up the bird nest. The drag is very fickled, either too loose or too tight, very hard to get set properly. Nothing like a Lamson or Bauer drag, I am hoping the others are not like this one.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:52 PM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

2 month yet with a trout 5/7, and it works great. But I fish only 2 times with it. Here in Europe, the water level is very low, and I prefer wait for better days....

Climate change.... I don't know... but it look it is worst year after year...

Good stuff Justin !!
Old 07-16-2011, 05:46 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

I had a problem with my Alpha where the reel would have a spot where it free spooled about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. The one way clutch wasn't working. I don't know if this describes your issue, but if it does, Justin sent me a new clutch bearing very quickly.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:52 PM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to behold

Josh, Im not 100% sure of the issue you are talking about. The only thing that I could think it would be is that my reels do not have a click retreive. If you need a new clutch bearing. Send me an email at allenflyfishing@yahoo.com or justin@allenflyfishing.com and I'll send you a new one. We upgraded our clutch bearing about 2 months ago so that might be a good fix for ya.

Thanks

Justin
Old 07-16-2011, 10:57 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenflyfishing View Post
Josh, Im not 100% sure of the issue you are talking about. The only thing that I could think it would be is that my reels do not have a click retreive. If you need a new clutch bearing. Send me an email at allenflyfishing@yahoo.com or justin@allenflyfishing.com and I'll send you a new one. We upgraded our clutch bearing about 2 months ago so that might be a good fix for ya.

Thanks

Justin
josh,
i have 2 alphas, and have never had any sort of problem that you mention. i would have to believe its because of your casting stroke.

casey

ARFE
Old 07-17-2011, 06:27 PM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about

I know what your talking about. I don't have the problem on my Trout 3/5, but maybe because I use it on my 7'6" rod, so I'm not horsing out 80 feet of line.

But I do have that problem on my 8wt reel, a reel that shall remain nameless because if really does s*ck (It's not an Allen reel). I got it cheap on a closeout. But when I'm trying to get big bugs out 80 feet, it will continue to take up line. I cast hard, and the reel turns a little bit, bringing in a little line. Cast again, a little more line reels in. Tighten the drag, makes no difference. After half a dozen casts, I have to strip off a little more line. It's irritating.