The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 08:19 AM

scandvoice is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Mystery Aluminium Reel

Hereīs one for you experts out there!

I bought this reel on the internet for 10 bucks.
It has no markings whatsoever. Itīs kinda large, som my guess would be that itīs a salmon reel. It works perfectly and the click sounds just great.
Any ideas on maker, origin and time period?

Regards,

Mikael

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Mystery Aluminium Reel

I'm not an expert but there is no image for me when I try to view your picture. You need to photobucket the shot and then upload to the site.

Ard
Old 06-16-2010, 11:25 AM

Ok - letīs see if this works.

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

And three more shots...

Regards,

Mikael
Old 06-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting no doubt, the line guard is reminiscent of some old (and I mean old) Hardy models and the spool is similar to the Silex albeit a large arbor. The raised pillar design is no help to me but I don't feel that this is an old reel. The cast foot removes it from the list of any builders that I am familiar with. Sooner or later Rip Tide will see this and he will pin it down. Sorry I can't tell you what you have found.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-16-2010, 12:47 PM

Thanks Ard - for the info on Photobucket. This is my first Thread.
Iīm completely in the dark on this one - Iīve been through all the books I have on old reels, and nothing really fits. Maybe itīs a home-made project!
But, then again - if someone goes to the trouble of making a good reel, they would probably sign it, right?

Mikael
Old 06-16-2010, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Mikael,

It may be a prototype of large arbor design. The oxidation and wear give the hint that it is either old or someone went to great extent to make it look so.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-16-2010, 06:02 PM

Well. if itīs a prototype it would explain the lack of stamps and markings. However, as I paid 10 bucks for it, I donīt feel cheated.
My fishing buddy suggested it could be a russian/eastern european rip-off from the 50īs. That would explain the different features, such as the Hardy-like line guard and the click. I e-mailed the seller for more information, but he says he just picked it up at a garage sale in Sweden a couple of years ago. So the trail goes dead right there. Anyways, Iīm going to spend most of tomorrow playing detective on the net. This is fun! :-)

Mikael