The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 11:46 AM

dangwillows is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Temptation to fish a vintage South bend Bamboo

I have owned a vintage south bend bamboo 9' for twenty some odd years and have never fished it.I bought it from a fellow that had told me it was 25+ years old and that it had only been fished twice at the time that I bought it.I am scared to death to use the darn thing! Should I just sell it or give in to the temptation?
Old 07-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Temptation to fish a vintage South bend Bamboo

It was made for fish'n, but it depends on your priorities. I have to admit, I'd likely sell it as I suspect I could get one or more very nice rods and still have money left over. Depending on the value I might sell it and use the money to go fishing somewhere I can't afford otherwise. However, I'm not one for collecting things.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 07-21-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:05 PM

I tend not to part with gear very often, but you make a good point about getting a nice new rig.If I used the money from the old rod, my wife won,t skin me! I will look into getting it up for sale. Anyone know where I could get a fair price?
Old 07-21-2011, 12:27 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have one, a 359-9.
It was my grandfather's and I don't use it very often. Only when I want to fish a "cast" of wet flies the way he taught me to do some 45 years ago. A deadly technique.
South Bend rods are worth a bit more than H-Is or Montys, but you definitely won't get rich off of it.
They go for as much as $200 depending on the model, with the shorter rods having the most value.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:15 PM

Thanks Rip, Maybe after I post a-bit more, I will put her up on the "hankering to trade" forum here. I have got some other old gear that I have picked up over the years that I should part ways with as well.

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

Mine is a 323 9' with two tips,Mine is missing the first guide on shaft two. Other than that,perfect. I almost got it out when I was around Lake city Co this year, but saw that the one guide was A.W.O.L. I guess it was for the best. Fly Rod Carma I suppose.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:54 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

I have an older one as well. I would take it out and give it a few casts. You might be a new convert. (I don't use mine often, but it's about time for another outing with it!)
Old 07-21-2011, 11:59 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i would give it a try. why not. if you like it, keep it. if not, sell it or hang it the den.

casey

ARFE
Old 07-23-2011, 09:50 AM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

It should fish and cast fine provided it's matched with the right line. In fact it may surprise you, some of the South Bend tappers were excellent rods. If you slow down your casting stroke it may actually impress you.

As far as value, Boo rods over eight foot from the mass market makers tend to have limited value. Even the collectable rarer rods tend to peak in value at about eight foot in length. The one problem is Boo rods are heavy, at seven and a half foot and shorter the differences are minimal. I actually believe boo done rod is a superior material over graphite in 7 1/2 and under rods. But at nine foot, a boo rod is a heavy beast. And at the end of a day of fishing your shoulder will notice it if your in my age class.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:23 PM

Thanks for the input.