The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 09:36 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it OK to use 9WT line on a 7/8 reel w/ 7wt Rod?

If I read the post right you just want to use a smaller reel correct? If that is your plan your only issue will be less room for backing. Use 20lb gel spun backing and you should be ok.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:51 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have a $13 walmart 6wt that I use to play with the cats.
I tie a big 'bob" fly about the size of a fist made of saddles and buck tail and cast it with an 8wt line.
The cheap 6wt can handle about 40' of line in the air before the rod tip "collapses"
It doesn't break, but it's not high performance either.

My surf rod is a $25 Sportman's Guide 10', 7/8, IM6 that I've gone to using an 11wt line on. I could use a 10wt on it but I like how it casts with the 11 better.

You don't know how a rod will respond to different line weights until you try them.
It might be sluggish, it might sing, but i doubt it's going to break

Quote:
But what if the 6/7 is really a 6 (as I mentioned earlier), not a 7, and, shall we say, an economy model? And a slow action? Putting a 9 on that rod would cure just about anybody of wanting to fly fish, whether it breaks the rod or not. Way different than hanging a 9 on a 7. Just a cautionary note to the OP. None of us has cast/seen the rod/reel/line, so all the advice in the world might not mean much.

but I reiterate, hanging a 9 line on an economy (read: slow) 6 rod might not be very much fun.
Gary
Old 07-26-2011, 09:52 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I have a $13 walmart 6wt that I use to play with the cats.
I tie a big 'bob" fly about the size of a fist made of saddles and buck tail and cast it with an 8wt line.
The cheap 6wt can handle about 40' of line in the air before the rod tip "collapses"
It doesn't break, but it's not high performance either.

My surf rod is a $25 Sportman's Guide 10', 7/8, IM6 that I've gone to using an 11wt line on. I could use a 10wt on it but I like how it casts with the 11 better.

You don't know how a rod will respond to different line weights until you try them.
It might be sluggish, it might sing, but i doubt it's going to break
I agree, but I don't think he wants to overline a rod. I think he wants to use a smaller class reel instead of buying a larger reel
Old 07-26-2011, 10:10 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

LOL, whatever.
Gary
Old 07-26-2011, 05:45 PM

flyfishingjack is on a distinguished road

Jeez, I should've just stuck with baitcasting - so much more simpler. I just had to choose between three different types of bait for my area and my only dilema was deciding to use a medium or heavy surfcast rod, depending where I went. LOL

This whole fly fishing stuff is like rocket science. So much to learn, so many options and I'm going have to raise my own debt ceiling to afford this hobby!
I'm just hitting local lakes and going for panfish and trying to catch bass on poppers. I did hit a local stream and caught a small rainbow with a dry fly. I'm still learning and quite honestly, I find the learning curve challenging and fun Although I enjoy fresh water fishing, I know I'll get bored once the learning curve is over. I live in New York City and I've surf fished stripers, flounder, blues most of my fishing life since the Atlantic Coast is within 20 mins from me and I enjoy being out on the beach or on the bay going for bigger fish - hence my question regarding 9WT.

Here is my current arsenal that I've acquired over the last two months on a very limited budget from Craigslist, Store clearance sales, etc.

A cheap Pflueger beginner setup with a Medalist 1349 reel.
Rod 5/6 WT (I thought it was 6/7) and the reel is a 5/6 WT, loaded with 6WT line.

A Cabela Prestige 3/4 reel w/ 4WT line loaded on to it.

A Cabela Prestige 7/8 reel with no line loaded on it yet. I managed to acquire some 9WT floating line and plan to use it on this reel and will use a thinner 20lb backing line.

After getting all these responses, here is my plan:

1) Save and buy a decent 4 piece 4WT rod and put the 3/4 reel on it. Will be using this for small trout ,streams, traveling. OR should I go with a 3WT rod and use the 4WT line on it? Which will give me a further cast?

2) Save and buy a decent 9WT rod for saltwater fly fishing and use the 7/8 reel with 9WT line.

Do you guys see any issues or have any recommendations?

P.S. I experimented by putting my 3/4 reel with 4WT line on my 5/6 rod today at the local lake. It casted like **** and the popper didn't go far when I roll casted (my roll cast usually goes further when the rod is mated with the Medalist reel). Is it because of the lighter line on a heavier rod? Or is it cause the rod is ****? or me? :T

Thanks again everyone and would love to hear your thoughts.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:49 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default "I know I'll get bored once the learning curve is over."

Trust me on this, it's never over. You won't get bored.
Gary
Old 07-26-2011, 06:01 PM

Talking Re: Is it OK to use 9WT line on a 7/8 reel w/ 7wt Rod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishingjack View Post
Jeez, I should've just stuck with baitcasting - so much more simpler. I just had to choose between three different types of bait for my area and my only dilema was deciding to use a medium or heavy surfcast rod, depending where I went. LOL

This whole fly fishing stuff is like rocket science. So much to learn, so many options and I'm going have to raise my own debt ceiling to afford this hobby!
I'm just hitting local lakes and going for panfish and trying to catch bass on poppers. I did hit a local stream and caught a small rainbow with a dry fly. I'm still learning and quite honestly, I find the learning curve challenging and fun Although I enjoy fresh water fishing, I know I'll get bored once the learning curve is over. I live in New York City and I've surf fished stripers, flounder, blues most of my fishing life since the Atlantic Coast is within 20 mins from me and I enjoy being out on the beach or on the bay going for bigger fish - hence my question regarding 9WT.

Here is my current arsenal that I've acquired over the last two months on a very limited budget from Craigslist, Store clearance sales, etc.

A cheap Pflueger beginner setup with a Medalist 1349 reel.
Rod 5/6 WT (I thought it was 6/7) and the reel is a 5/6 WT, loaded with 6WT line.

A Cabela Prestige 3/4 reel w/ 4WT line loaded on to it.

A Cabela Prestige 7/8 reel with no line loaded on it yet. I managed to acquire some 9WT floating line and plan to use it on this reel and will use a thinner 20lb backing line.

After getting all these responses, here is my plan:

1) Save and buy a decent 4 piece 4WT rod and put the 3/4 reel on it. Will be using this for small trout ,streams, traveling. OR should I go with a 3WT rod and use the 4WT line on it? Which will give me a further cast?

2) Save and buy a decent 9WT rod for saltwater fly fishing and use the 7/8 reel with 9WT line.

Do you guys see any issues or have any recommendations?

P.S. I experimented by putting my 3/4 reel with 4WT line on my 5/6 rod today at the local lake. It casted like **** and the popper didn't go far when I roll casted (my roll cast usually goes further when the rod is mated with the Medalist reel). Is it because of the lighter line on a heavier rod? Or is it cause the rod is ****? or me? :T

Thanks again everyone and would love to hear your thoughts.
Your location changes everything! We're neighbors, I live in Staten Island and spend more than 50% of my flyfishing time with my 9WT in my hand. We're surrounded by Stripers, Bluefish and Fluke, between the wind and surf conditions you should definately hold out for a 9WT combo. In the mean time Prospect Park has been producing some decent Largemouth amd Central Park has Bass, Pan fish and some nice size Carp too! If you want to travel a little bit Staten Island and Long Island have some pretty good fresh and saltwater action. I would say stick with the 5/6 Combo, enjoy the sweetwater and if the flyfishing bug bites you hard buy yourself a 9WT for Christmas.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
Trust me on this, it's never over. You won't get bored.
Gary
Truer words have never been spoken...