The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 03:39 PM

flyfishingjack is on a distinguished road
Default Is it OK to use 9WT line on a 7/8 reel w/ 7wt Rod?

I can't afford to buy so another reel or rod, etc.

Is it OK to use 9WT line on a 7/8 Reel?

Is it OK to use 7/8 reel on a 6/7 Rod?

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2011, 03:47 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Is it OK to use 9WT line on a 7/8 reel w/ 7wt Rod?

My first thought is: you do what you have to do. Having said that, of course you can put a 9wt line on a 7/8 reel....but do you need space for backing that the 9wt line will take up? If you do, then it might not be the best idea.

And of course you can use a 7/8 reel on a 6/7 rod...but how it balances out is the question. Does it make the rig so "butt heavy" that its a bear to cast all day?

The logical progession, based on your questions - 9 wt line on 7/8wt reel which then goes on 6/7wt rod doesn't sound all that appealing to me, frankly. Because if what you're going for is casting a 9 wt. line on a 6/7 weight rod, you might not be all that pleased with the results.

Good luck,
Gary
Old 07-25-2011, 05:09 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Yes, experiment, I'm sure there are a lot of members here that have overlined to ck it out, I've overlined under certain circumstances and have liked the results.

Rick
Old 07-25-2011, 05:24 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

If it's functionally a 6wt rod and you hang a 9wt line on it, I don't think that's gonna be much of an experiment. A broken rod, maybe, but not much of an experiment.
Gary
Old 07-25-2011, 05:36 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

What fish are you targeting?

What kind of flies are you using?

What kind of distances are you casting?

Dennis
Old 07-25-2011, 11:06 PM

flyfishingjack is on a distinguished road

Aiming for small stripers in my area with the 9WT. Snapping rods makes sense. I'll look into getting a 9WT rod. I'll probably use the 9WT line on the 7/8 reel until I can afford a decent 8/9WT reel.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:49 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Modern graphite can take a lot of load. I used to fish 300 grain shooting heads on a fast action seven weight rod when I needed to get my fly down deep. So casting a nine weight line (9 wt = 240 grains AFTMA) on a seven weight rod should not be a problem.

As for the 7/8 reel on a 7 weight issue, you shouldn't notice anything unless that reel weighs a ton. Your arm may fatigue earlier if you are spending a day blind casting.

The reason I asked about the types of flies is that they will effect your cast. Sparse and less wind resistant flies do not need a lot of grain mass to be thrown. Dressed up and more wind resistant flies like Dahlberg Divers need a lot of grain mass to be thrown. Heavy baitfish patterns with huge lead eyes like Clouser Minnows need a lot of grain mass to be thrown also. So what is your fly strategy for the seven weight?

And to confuse you more, what kind of depth are you fishing? Are you fishing topwater? Are you fishing ten feet down?

My gut tells me that you should be fishing a line that will complement your current rod. It will make your fishing outing much more enjoyable than trying to fight a mismatched line and rod. Having not to deal with such a potential mismatch is priceless.

Since you are wondering about the nine weight line, here is something that you may want to try. Go to your local fly shop and borrow its demo reel loaded with a nine weight line. Tie on a beater fly that will represent the fly that you will be throwing. Remember to cut the back part of the hook so not to hook yourself. If you want to throw something wind resistant, tie on the puffiest yarn indicator to the leader. If you can throw the line and fly accurately to the distance that you wish for, then you will know your answer.

Dennis
Old 07-26-2011, 12:49 AM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

Keep in mind, even going for small stripers there is always the chance of a cow grabbing your fly that is capable of getting you well in to your backing. Especially since you have to worry about breaking your rod, you wont be able to slow it down like you would with a 9wt.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:05 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

You won't break a 7wt just by using a 9wt line on it.
No way, no how. I do it all the time.
You might not get the performance that you'd like however. It all depends on the rod.
And landing a large fish is more about skill than how heavy the rod is.
Rods break, but it's usually operator error and not because you're under-gunned.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:23 AM

But what if the 6/7 is really a 6 (as I mentioned earlier), not a 7, and, shall we say, an economy model? And a slow action? Putting a 9 on that rod would cure just about anybody of wanting to fly fish, whether it breaks the rod or not. Way different than hanging a 9 on a 7. Just a cautionary note to the OP. None of us has cast/seen the rod/reel/line, so all the advice in the world might not mean much.

but I reiterate, hanging a 9 line on an economy (read: slow) 6 rod might not be very much fun.
Gary