The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 11:28 AM

zogburt is on a distinguished road
Default PFLUEGER TRION 1912 for 80 clams?

Hi all.

I'm in the market for a new reel for my 9', 5 weight TFO Professional rod. I don't want to spend more than $100. I have noticed the PFLUEGER TRION 1912 reels for sale on Ebay (item number 350478363048) and wonder if they are a good option. $80 seems like a good price . . .

Thanks.

-- Matt
Old 08-02-2011, 12:03 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: PFLUEGER TRION 1912 for 80 clams?

the 1912 is a 10-12wt reel if your looking for pfleuger trion then get the 1956

If you want a decent reel at a around $50 then check out this seller on ebay. I just bought the 5/7 model and its great.
It's light, the drag is great and it looks good. Though it looks like there are not any currently on sale, but can shop around on ebay and find many similar reels.
Also, Albright have great reels, the GP or GPX. I have the GP 7/8 for my 8 wt rod and its a dream, nice looking, light and the drag again is awesome. These are only good value when they have sales, which is quite regularly. If you sign up for emails, they'll let you know when the sales start...typically 70% off.

Finally, Allen fly fishing have offers currently on their reels, with one coupon for $20 off - alpha2preorder is the code and you can find more info here (Check through to the last page.)

---------- Post added at 11:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

also check out these reels and these on the UK forum. They might ship to US for a reasonable price.

Addicted To Vise
Old 08-02-2011, 12:26 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

80 bucks is not a bad price.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:28 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

amazon has the 1956 for $90 with free shipping.

Addicted To Vise
Old 08-02-2011, 03:06 PM

The Allen reels are beautiful and the 40MPH drag race video was a hoot. The price is a little steep though. I see no discounts being offered at this moment. I guess I'll join the mailing list.

Thanks.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogburt View Post
The Allen reels are beautiful and the 40MPH drag race video was a hoot. The price is a little steep though. I see no discounts being offered at this moment. I guess I'll join the mailing list.

Thanks.
there is definitely a $20 discount with the code i offered earlier! it was posted yesterday at 8.49PM

If any problems go on live chat with them or call them..they're really great to deal with.

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

the code is with Allen.

If you were talking about albright, then yeah, theres no offers on right now, but for sure join the mailing list.

Addicted To Vise
Old 08-03-2011, 09:44 PM

Oh, I was looking for a field where I could enter "alpha2preorder," and found none. I guess I'll need to use the live chat to get the $20 discount.

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

And btw, what do you call that feature that allows the drag to be engaged (i.e. when a hooked fish is running) without the handle spinning around? Do the Allen reels have this feature?

Thanks.