The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By allenflyfishing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 10:40 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough
Default Allen Trout 5/6 and Alpha II 7/8?

I just ordered an Allen Trout 5/6 reel and was wondering what those of you who own one think of them. I got a green one on sale for $88 shipped, figured it was worth a shot. I'm just wondering how well they will compare to my other reels(mostly Bauer's), the reel wont ship until next week so I have a while before I get to see for myself. I'm also tempted to buy an Alpha II 7/8 for one of my 7wt rods but want to be sure the drag is up to par with my other big reels, a Bauer M3 (my 7wt reel) and a Ross Canyon BG4(8wt reel).
Old 08-10-2011, 11:29 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Re: Allen Trout 5/6 and Alpha II 7/8?

I have a Trout 5/6 and love it. I have a sink tip line on it and use it exclusively for streamers.

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/
Old 08-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi wishiniwerfishin,

I also have the Trout 5/6 and they are a very good reel. The machining is top notch and they are an unbelievable value for the money.

The Alpha II has a new, stronger drag but I have not seen one. I have a problem trying to compare a drag on a sub $100 reel with a $250/$300 dollar reel. I don't know if it is fair to expect the Alpha II drag to be as good as your other two reels but it may be. I think if you want a reel with a drag that will catch fish and do its job, then the Alpha II will definitely do that and save you some money in the process. Maybe someone who has used the Alpha II can comment on the drag.

I suggest you wait until you receive your Trout 5/6 before you decide about the Alpha II. I think you will be surprised with the quality of the Allen reels. I do know that the original Alpha was catching Steelhead and the Alpha II has an improved drag.

Frank
Old 08-10-2011, 01:45 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

I have 3 Trout 5/7 (red, black & gun metal) reels and they are beautiful, well made reels.
I would not compare the drag on an Allen to a Bauer, Ross, Lamson or any other higher end reel. It just would not be fair to compare a $88 reel to a $200+ reel.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:58 PM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the feedback and I completely agree it's unfair to expect the same performance out of a $100 reel that a $300 reel would exhibit. I guess from looking at the reel in pics they look to be higher quality than their price would lead you to think, so I figured(or was hoping) the drag might match the looks. With all the positive feedback they look to be a excelent deal. The drag setup seems to be close to whats in a conventional baitcaster so I would think it should perform pretty well. Again thanks for the response, I'll be patiently waiting for my 5/6 to see if the 7/8 is worth it.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:55 PM

troutbum bk is on a distinguished road

looks like we both ordered the exact same reel at about the exact same time
Old 08-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to behold

Hello,

As for the Alpha 2. Please check out our Facebook page. People are starting to post catches with there Alpha 2's.

Allen Fly Fishing | Facebook

Also, it was a great week for the Trout 5/7 reel. About 5 posts down our Trout reel caught a colorado State Record (unOfficial)
roryodonnell likes this.