The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 01:33 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hardy Featherweight, Lamson Guru, Orvis BattenKill LA, or Orvis CFO or

The Ross has a better drag system than the Orvis BBS and CFO (with drag). It's smooth as butter, and won't give you any problems. The Ross holds a drag setting forever, and can be tuned in finer increments than the Orvis reels. The drag on the CFO and BBS is fine, but it's just not up to the level of a Ross reel. My 590 Z-Axis feels better with a reel around 5oz mounted on it, and the Rhythm 3 is right there (4.9). The Rhythm is a mid arbor design, and you won't have any coiling issues with that. Here's a Rhythm 3 on my 9' 6wt. I don't have any pics with it on the Z-Axis, but it was fine on that rod.:
Click the image to open in full size.

P.S.
Here's an Evo LT #3 on my 590 Z-Axis. Larger diameter reels look fine on that rod, and the weight difference it very small:
Old 08-11-2011, 06:50 PM

phishsaw is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hardy Featherweight, Lamson Guru, Orvis BattenKill LA, or Orvis CFO or

Great photos, FrankB2!
Thanks for the information. I'm going to look at the Ross reels for sure. Hopefully, the prices are within my budget! I think that may have been the reason why I didn't consider it.

Also, my Z-Axis arrived today, woohoo! It's a beauty. It deserves a nice reel!

Thanks everyone.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:25 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Frank has you covered with specifics of the Ross Evo, and it really is butter smooth. Ross are Made in the US, I haven't had to use warranty or CS, but have heard very good things about Ross. Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with all of the reels you're interested in or those that have been mentioned along the way.

The #2 is rated for 4-6wts and is 4.2 oz, where as the #3 is 5-7 and weighs in just a touch heavier at 4.5 oz. MSRP for the #2 is $285 and $305 for the #3. #2 spool $148, #3 spool # $159. This all from the Ross Website:

Fly Reels, Evolution LT - Ross Reels USA / Ross Worldwide

Here's my Z with the Evo #2

Old 08-11-2011, 09:38 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Yup. How can you hang a cheapo reel on a premium rod? The first reel used on the Z-Axis was a made in England (NOS) BBS IV. It was fine, but I sold it, and bought one of the original Ross Evolution #3 reels:

It was a fine reel, but I liked the looks of the Evolution LT. Somewhere along that time I bought the Ross Rhythm at a close-out price, and that was very nice as well. I sold all of them, but only regret selling the Rhythms. They would be very costly to replace, considering the discounted price I paid (and sold them for). A dumb move. One of the more attractive reels for me right now is the Abel Super 4N and 5N. I almost bought a new Super 4N on ebay last night, but was too exhausted from dealing with my wife's broken ankle. Moscapescador seems to like a lighter reel on his 590 Z-Axis, and he is very knowledgeable about these matters. In fact, I pester him quite a bit about reel selection. Everyone has their favorite, and Pocono is using an Abel Super 5N on his 590 Z-Axis. He loves it. I don't really recall why I sold my Evo Lt reels, but I do like swinging the Z-Axis with more weight hanging off the reel seat. I recently bought an Abel TR 3 (another NOS reel), but haven't used it on any rod yet. 3.25" diameter spool, and .75" wide, it will hold quite a bit of backing. It's VERY smooth for a click/pawl reel, but wouldn't slow down the largemouth in the photo above. I've been using my collection of Okuma SLV reels on most of my rods this year, and their drag systems have been used on several occasions this summer:
The Okuma reels shown above have a 3.5" diameter spool, and that 22 inch catfish require the drag knob to be tightened quite a bit after my wife hooked it on a #10 Wooly Bugger!

Honestly, they're all fine reels. Finding the match is really a matter of personal preference. If we were discussing a reel for tarpon, the answer would be much more definite.

P.S.
Jaybo, That bronze Evo LT looks great with the Fall leaves!
Old 08-12-2011, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Frank has you covered with specifics of the Ross Evo, and it really is butter smooth. Ross are Made in the US, I haven't had to use warranty or CS, but have heard very good things about Ross. Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with all of the reels you're interested in or those that have been mentioned along the way.

The #2 is rated for 4-6wts and is 4.2 oz, where as the #3 is 5-7 and weighs in just a touch heavier at 4.5 oz. MSRP for the #2 is $285 and $305 for the #3. #2 spool $148, #3 spool # $159. This all from the Ross Website:

Fly Reels, Evolution LT - Ross Reels USA / Ross Worldwide

Here's my Z with the Evo #2

That's a thing of beauty Jaybo41. I like the color combo of your setup. Sweet!
The prices are slightly higher than my budget. Hmm.
But it's so awesome looking.

---------- Post added at 03:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Yup. How can you hang a cheapo reel on a premium rod? The first reel used on the Z-Axis was a made in England (NOS) BBS IV. It was fine, but I sold it, and bought one of the original Ross Evolution #3 reels:

It was a fine reel, but I liked the looks of the Evolution LT. Somewhere along that time I bought the Ross Rhythm at a close-out price, and that was very nice as well. I sold all of them, but only regret selling the Rhythms. They would be very costly to replace, considering the discounted price I paid (and sold them for). A dumb move. One of the more attractive reels for me right now is the Abel Super 4N and 5N. I almost bought a new Super 4N on ebay last night, but was too exhausted from dealing with my wife's
broken ankle. Moscapescador seems to like a lighter reel on his 590 Z-Axis, and he is very knowledgeable about these matters. In fact, I pester him quite a bit about reel selection. Everyone has their favorite, and Pocono is using
an Abel Super 5N on his 590 Z-Axis. He loves it. I don't really recall why I sold my Evo Lt reels, but I do like swinging the Z-Axis with more weight hanging off the reel seat. I recently bought an Abel TR 3 (another NOS reel), but haven't used it on any rod yet. 3.25" diameter spool, and .75" wide, it will hold
quite a bit of backing. It's VERY smooth for a click/pawl reel, but wouldn't slow down the largemouth in the photo above. I've been using my collection of Okuma SLV reels on most of my rods this year, and their drag systems have been used on several occasions this summer:
The Okuma reels shown above have a 3.5" diameter spool, and that 22 in
catfish require the drag knob to be tightened quite a bit after my wife hooked it on a #10 Wooly Bugger!

Honestly, they're all fine reels. Finding the match is really a matter of personal preference. If we were discussing a reel for tarpon, the answer would be much more definite.
P.S.
Jaybo, That bronze Evo LT looks great with the Fall leaves!
I'm too distracted by the photos of the fish to think about reels. That brown trout is something. I just want to go fishing!
I think I've got enough info and I think I'd like a reel with a drag system because I don't have one yet. Now I just need to get one I can afford.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice. I'll keep you all updated.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:57 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I have posted this a few times. I have a Z-Axis and own a Evo 2 and a Lamson Guru. I have put both reels on the Z and truth be told I prefer the Guru. Dont get me wrong I love the Evo I own a few but my Z is paired with a Guru.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:59 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the kind words Frank and Phish.

Frank, that older version of the Evo is sweet, that's one sweet rig you have! I've looked for the older versions and for the most part they don't seem to come up for sale too often, at least on the fly fishing forums I frequent. Love that Steel Blue color!

Lamson has a solid drag through my experiences, I own two. Litespeed and an older model Velocity. The Velocity I use to fish for Steelies, and that drag and reel has proven iteself in winter conditions with big fish. The Guru for the price is going to get you a solid drag and could potentially be viewed as "best bang for the buck" The Lamson drags are all the same as I understand it. The price difference is the manufacturing process of the spool and frame of the reel. Like I mentioned before, all of the reels being discussed in this thread are fine choices!
Old 08-13-2011, 11:28 AM

Thanks, Comeonavs,
Just when I thought I would go for the Ross Evo, the Lamson Guru2 reappears I tried to get a guru a few days ago to take advantage of the Gabelas $20 off promo, but they didn't have the size I wanted. However, after seeing the copper color Evo #2 on Jaybo's Z I thought I have to get that combo sounds shallow I know, but that is such a sweet looking combo. If I'm getting skunked I may as well look good right?
I've heard really good things about the Guru 2, but it doesn't come in the color I want
Jaybo - why did you chose the Evo #2 and not 3 when the #3 is for 5/7 wt? My inclination is to go for Evo #3, but if it makes no difference I would rather go for #2 because it's a little less.

Any advice?
Thanks.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:13 PM

LOL you like the look of it eh Phish? Go for it if you like it!

Good question. I opted for the #2 as opposed to the #3 because I don't own a 6wt, am set on 7wt reels and figured that I could also get another spool and use it on a 4 wt. The weight is nearly the same on both, just a fraction of an ounce, and although not quite as much of a factor as what I've previously mentioned, a few bucks cheaper.

I think it balances great on the 905 Z.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:59 AM

Thanks, Jaybo.
I was wondering if there was a balancing reason for choosing one over the other, but your reasoning makes sense.
I think Ill do the same.
Once I get the reel and everything setup I'll take a photo And post it.
I'm not that shallow really. I'm an engineer by trade and a deep thinker by reputation "the chap does protest too much." Ha ha ha!