The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 12:52 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hardy Featherweight, Lamson Guru, Orvis BattenKill LA, or Orvis CFO or

WAIT! I had a #2 Evo LT on my 590 Z, and thought it was a bit small. The original Evo had much more capacity in the #2 size, but the LT has a smaller inside diameter. I used the #3 LT on my 4wt's: just use less backing. With the recommended amount of backing on the Evo LT, you have to guide the line onto the reel while retrieving. The #3 LT will give you the luxury of just winding line back on, providing you don't max out the backing. Jaybo is correct about the weight difference being nearly nothing, and I like reels that work on several different rods.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:41 AM

fireroad is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hardy Featherweight, Lamson Guru, Orvis BattenKill LA, or Orvis CFO or

If you want to stay on budget and get a quality reel that will last you a lifetime I would strongly recommend a gently used the Ross Rhythm, Ross Evolution (non-LT), or Lamson Velocity (the generation before the most recent redesign). I have fished all 3 and they are damn fine reels for the price, balance a 5 weight nicely, and both companies have excellent customer service. I currently still own 2 of my 3 Rhythms and 1 of my 2 Velocities. I had an Evo on my 3 wt and upgraded to an Evo LT, also and excellent reel.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:28 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

My two cents- I see the Z Axis as a classic looking rod and as such I would want a reel that matched that level of quality and aura. Sure, there are lots of reels on the market that would serve the need but i would personally be very choosy even if that meant an extra month or two of saving my shekels.

I worked for an Orvis dealer while I was in college back in the early 90's and I was, with few exceptions, soundly put off by most Orvis gear. At that time most of the Orvis products that I saw were marketed to someone that wanted a name and would not have the experience to see the flaws in craftsmanship- of which there were many. Before anyone gets too emotional about that statement remember that I said "few exceptions". One of these was the Orvis CFO reels which I still think is a great product. If you choose the Orvis route the CFO would certainly be a great choice but even though their quality may have returned their other reels don't really talk to me.

Someone mentioned an Abel TR or Creek series reel. Being an Abel guy with several myself I would say that they are always a great choice. Personally I would move toward the 4N but now you are talking quite a bit more money.

Lamson reels- great stuff I've fished them for years and years and I have landed my biggest steelhead and biggest king salmon with a Lamson. That said- these days they just don't seem to have that special something that makes me want to run right out and buy one.

If it were me and I was to stay within the 250ish amount I would be trolling eBay and this would be my choices-

1) Abel TR2 or even a TR3. The TR3 was made for a 7 or 8 wt but they are super light and would actually balance well on a 9' 5wt. Plus, as you could load it up with backing you would effectively create a large arbor reel.
2) Orvis CFO- yeah, I think they are very nice.
3) Sage 505 or 504- classic reel made by Hardy for Sage in the 90s. This sought after reel is a rich brownish copper color, has a click drag and would match that rod beautifully. They come up fairly frequently and if are patient you can find one that is in great condition.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:52 PM

phishsaw is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys,
Thank you everyone for your advice. In the end I decided to place an order for a copper Ross Evo #3 and it comes with an SA Mastery Series Trout 5wt line for free! It's on its way! Woohoo!
Can't wait to try it out!
Will post photos when it arrives.
Again, thanks for your advice!
Old 08-18-2011, 07:10 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Phish! I think you will be very pleased with the Evo. Give us the report once you get out with your new rig and have a chance to throw some loops. My prediction is you will feel and look something like this
Old 08-18-2011, 10:11 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice! I've seen those deals with free lines on a lot of reels. Tough to argue with that. Like Jaybo said, I've had so many people say that the Evo LT is a sweet looking reel. More than any other reel I've owned.

Jaybo,
What line are you using on your Z-Axis in the photo? I've only used SA's GPX on mine, and it's fine. Sometimes I wonder if a true 5wt line might work well, but never get around to trying.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:32 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Nice! I've seen those deals with free lines on a lot of reels. Tough to argue with that. Like Jaybo said, I've had so many people say that the Evo LT is a sweet looking reel. More than any other reel I've owned.

Jaybo,
What line are you using on your Z-Axis in the photo? I've only used SA's GPX on mine, and it's fine. Sometimes I wonder if a true 5wt line might work well, but never get around to trying.
I'll answer for him 'cause I cast it Rio Grand.

I use GPX on my 490-4 Frank, and it's a dream to cast for me. I've also fished Rio Gold on it and while the line performs, for me it doesn't perform as well as the GPX. We were just talking about this, in that some feel that you really should use a "standard" line for the Z-Axis. Perhaps if I were a more accomplished caster I could perform with the Trout Line or the Gold or some other standard 4 wt. line and I need the heaver line... but for me, when I cast his 590 or my 490 I prefer the heaver "4 wt." lines.

I'm headed out today and plan on trying the new GPX Textured on my 5 wt. I've also cast my 590 Z Axis with the Gold because that is the line I use on my other 5 wt. - which is a Loop Opti Nymph rod. Again, same performance for me on the 590 as the 490, I seem to have to work the rod harder, haul harder, etc. to get the rod to perform - for me. I will report back if I get to throw the 5 wt. rod on this trip. Mostly I throw 3 and 4 wt's in Wisconsin, especially this time of year - but I may tie on some 3x and large streamers and see if I can target some big boys who have pushed up for cooler waters

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:36 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Cast it very well I might add Chi, you really threw out some line with it. I know you enjoyed it because now you have both a 4 and 5 wt z

Frank, I'm with Chi. Not a beginning caster, not an accomplished caster either and certainly prefer a heavier line on the Z. At least where I am now with my casting ability anyway. One other thing I like about the heavier line is that it makes the rod load easier when casting in closer.

Good luck on your trip Chi, hoping you give me a ring later and tell me about a fish that had your rod bent up good and deep into the line, perhaps into backing
Old 08-23-2011, 01:16 AM

phishsaw is on a distinguished road

They didn't have the GPX as part of the promotion. Should I have chosen the wt 6 line instead of the 5?
My reel came and it looks great! Have not had a chance to try it out yet.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:13 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishsaw View Post
They didn't have the GPX as part of the promotion. Should I have chosen the wt 6 line instead of the 5?
My reel came and it looks great! Have not had a chance to try it out yet.
Only you know what you're comfortable with. I use Rio Gold and SA GPX on my 490 Z-Axis. If I'm "throwing long" most of thel day and mainly fishing with dries, the Gold can be a very nice line - although I'm moving away from most RIO lines. If I'm indi nymphing or short line nymphing, or simply not throwing out more than 30 ft. of line most of the day, I prefer the heaver GPX. I've never thrown 6 wt. line on a 5 wt. or overlined a rod specifically - other than the GPX/Grand lines on my Z Axis rods.

As a side note, I used Airflow Ridgeline Trout line on the Z-Axis 4 wt. last weekend. Ideal line and not rated 1/2 heaver. You just gotta cast different lines until you find what you like. Unfortunately, that is an expensive endeavor unless you have a fly shop that lets you cast a lot of different lines with your rods before buying. I personally don't have this option so I buy, fish, cast and pitch as I go until I eventually get to the right lines for my sticks. Fortunately I have quite a few 4 wt.s that I move my lines around on because some lines work better for me on certain 4's than others.

I used the GPX Textured on my 5 wt. over the weekend as well. Wow. That stuff launches out of the rod. Noisy, though.

Cheers,
Mike.