The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/)
-   -   Hardy Featherweight, Lamson Guru, Orvis BattenKill LA, or Orvis CFO or (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/170772-hardy-featherweight-lamson-guru-orvis-battenkill-la-orvis-cfo.html)

phishsaw 08-10-2011 07:34 PM

Hardy Featherweight, Lamson Guru, Orvis BattenKill LA, or Orvis CFO or
 
Hi guys,
New to the forum, really love it!
I bought a Z-Axis 590-4, my biggest purchase for fly rods. I've been struggling to find a reel for it and have been reading this forum for the past two days.
I finally narrowed the choices down to the Hardy Featherweight, Lamson Guru, Orvis BattenKill LA, or Orvis CFO.
Would really appreciate your input and advice on these.
I'm also open to other suggestions in the price range up to $250.
Thanks.

Hardyreels 08-10-2011 07:43 PM

Re: Hardy Featherweight, Lamson Guru, Orvis BattenKill LA, or Orvis CFO or
 
Unless you're in a hurry I would shop eBay for a vintage / mint condition CFO IV. I use one on an old 9' PM-10 and it's a beautiful thing. The new rod you have will be a little lighter than my old one and this is good. My PM-10 is still a little tip heavy once you string the line up. With the lighter shaft on yours the CFO IV should be about perfect. If you choose to go with the Hardy look to the LRH lightweight rather than the Feather. It is a good match to 9' 5 weights.

Ard

gt05254 08-10-2011 07:44 PM

Re: Hardy Featherweight, Lamson Guru, Orvis BattenKill LA, or Orvis CFO or
 
What Ard said, absolutely (CFO IV)! And oh, man, do I love PM-10"s! Wish they still made them!
Gary

MoscaPescador 08-11-2011 01:40 AM

Re: Hardy Featherweight, Lamson Guru, Orvis BattenKill LA, or Orvis CFO or
 
The five weight. This is the rod in which one has to make the decision to have an old school click and pawl or a modern disk drag. Think of it this way. If you plan to fight the fish with the rod and only need enough drag to keep the reel from free spooling, go with a click and pawl reel. If you plan on using a drag system to complement the rod when fighting a fish, a disk drag is very helpful.

I am part of the click and pawl group. Like Ard mentioned, the LRH Lightweight would be the better reel. It will balance the rod better.

If you don't mind spending some extra coin, consider an Abel TR2. It is an American made click and pawl reel that you can pass down to generations. I use one on my 5 weight Z-Axis as my slime line stillwater reel. Brand new, a TR2 in black costs $270. You can find one used under $200.

If you want to spend a bit more, consider an Abel Creek Large Arbor 2.

Dennis

jaybo41 08-11-2011 06:29 AM

Re: Hardy Featherweight, Lamson Guru, Orvis BattenKill LA, or Orvis CFO or
 
First off congratulations on your purchase. I have the same Z Axis rod and it has become one of my favorites. Solid advice thus far from all--not surpising on this board the group is one of the more helpful and useful forums I have found for fly fishing. Mosca hit the nail on the head in deciding to go with click & pawl or drag. Think about what species of fish you are targeting and the type of water you will be fishing when you make your choice.

I mostly throw my 5wt fishing larger streams/rivers, when I need to throw longer line (not the accomplished caster as some are here) and it's wonderful for streamers. The Z is a very versatile fly rod though, and I think you'll find that you can also turn over a very small dry fly with it as well. I am targeting trout and ocassionally smallies so I prefer a drag.

I have mine paired with a Ross Evolution LT #2 and really love this setup. $285 is just a little bit more than your budget of $250, but if you are considering a reel with drag, the Evo is certainly worth a look. Good luck in your search and let us know what you end up with.

phishsaw 08-11-2011 06:31 AM

Re: Hardy Featherweight, Lamson Guru, Orvis BattenKill LA, or Orvis CFO or
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyreels (Post 299888)
Unless you're in a hurry I would shop eBay for a vintage / mint condition CFO IV. I use one on an old 9' PM-10 and it's a beautiful thing. The new rod you have will be a little lighter than my old one and this is good. My PM-10 is still a little tip heavy once you string the line up. With the lighter shaft on yours the CFO IV should be about perfect. If you choose to go with the Hardy look to the LRH lightweight rather than the Feather. It is a good match to 9' 5 weights.

Ard

Thanks for your input Ard. How often does the CFO IV show up on eBay? I'm also unclear about vintage vs. non vintage, are all CFO IV considered vintage because they're discontinued? Or only the ones made in England a certain year are vintage? Found this on eBay :Made in England Orvis Barstock CFO IV Fly Reel - eBay (item 110725706748 end time Aug-13-11 07:57:39 PDT) is this one of them?
Thanks, again for your help.

FrankB2 08-11-2011 07:00 AM

Re: Hardy Featherweight, Lamson Guru, Orvis BattenKill LA, or Orvis CFO or
 
Orvis has the BBS IV on sale right now for $129. While it's no longer made in England, it's a very good reel: machined, handsome, drag with a clicker, lightweight, and holds plenty of backing for a 5wt line. Orvis assigns line weights to their reels that are entirely unrealistic IMO. Orvis says the BBS III will hold a 7wt line, but it has a narrow 3" spool. I've owned made in England BBS reels, and the line designations were lower back then. The BBS IV has a 3 3/8" spool that's about .75" wide. That's dandy for a 5wt, and I had one on my 590 Z-Axis. The Z-Axis has a U-20 Struble reel seat, and many reels have a foot that is too thick to fit well. The Orvis fits perfectly. Buying a new Orvis gives you a lifetime money back guarantee, and that might be something to consider as well.

phishsaw 08-11-2011 07:14 AM

Re: Hardy Featherweight, Lamson Guru, Orvis BattenKill LA, or Orvis CFO or
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybo41 (Post 300072)
First off congratulations on your purchase. I have the same Z Axis rod and it has become one of my favorites. Solid advice thus far from all--not surpising on this board the group is one of the more helpful and useful forums I have found for fly fishing. Mosca hit the nail on the head in deciding to go with click & pawl or drag. Think about what species of fish you are targeting and the type of water you will be fishing when you make your choice.

I mostly throw my 5wt fishing larger streams/rivers, when I need to throw longer line (not the accomplished caster as some are here) and it's wonderful for streamers. The Z is a very versatile fly rod though, and I think you'll find that you can also turn over a very small dry fly with it as well. I am targeting trout and ocassionally smallies so I prefer a drag.

I have mine paired with a Ross Evolution LT #2 and really love this setup.
$285 is just a little bit more than your budget of $250, but if you are
considering a reel with drag, the Evo is certainly worth a look. Good luck in
your search and let us know what you end up with.

Thanks, Jaybo. My Z is coming tomorrow and I can't wait to see it! Actually, tomorrow is here already, woke up in the middle of the night and been looking for reels and not realizing it's already 5 am PT :D
I did look into the Ross Evolution, but forgot why I abandoned it. Probably because of pricing. I also prefer gears made in the USA and then made in England in that order. I'll have to look at the Ross Evolution again.
I mostly fish rivers and streams for trout and the reels I have now are click and paw that I use with my 4# Thomas & Thomas. I'm curious to try a drag to see what it's like. However, the CFO IV Ard suggested sounds intriguing. I'm not sure if I have the patience to wait for one to show up on eBay :)
Will let everyone know which reel I decide on. Thanks, again for your input. This forum rocks!

FrankB2 08-11-2011 08:02 AM

Re: Hardy Featherweight, Lamson Guru, Orvis BattenKill LA, or Orvis CFO or
 
Sending you a PM on the CFO IV (made in England).

I also had a Ross Evolution on the Z-Axis. The 3 size works best with the new LT, as they hold less backing than the older Evolution. There is a Ross Rhythm and spool listed in this forum's Classifieds, and that's the same reel as the older Evo, but with less holes. They are excellent, and that is the size I bought for 5/6 wt rods.

phishsaw 08-11-2011 01:14 PM

Re: Hardy Featherweight, Lamson Guru, Orvis BattenKill LA, or Orvis CFO or
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankB2 (Post 300108)
Sending you a PM on the CFO IV (made in England).

I also had a Ross Evolution on the Z-Axis. The 3 size works best with the new LT, as they hold less backing than the older Evolution. There is a Ross Rhythm and spool listed in this forum's Classifieds, and that's the same reel as the older Evo, but with less holes. They are excellent, and that is the size I bought for 5/6 wt rods.

Hi FrankB2,
Thanks for the pm. What's your review of the Ross vs. other brand reels?
I will definitely look at the Ross again.
Thank you for your help.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.