The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2010, 08:49 PM

joshgamble will become famous soon enoughjoshgamble will become famous soon enough
Default Orvis deals.

Trying to decide between an Orvis mid arbor and the barstock reels. Only reason I am exclusively looking at these is because they have a deal now where you get a free spool with it.I was hoping to mainly (80%) fish freshwater around CT with it, but also occasionally saltwater in the LI Sound. Am I being over ambitious? Which one should I get? Are there other options,keeping in mind the extra spool. I have a 5wt rod right now, so thats the line I am using for now.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Orvis deals.

Josh,

If your rod is a 9 foot 5 weight I would buy either of the reels but go bigger than normal for a five weight. Having a reel that is a 7 wt size on a five weight rod is not a big problem and when you are ready for a seven weight for salt fishing you'll already have a reel.

Most 5wt reels are a bit on the small side and with a nine foot rod having the line strung up the rod seems a tad tip heavy. A larger reel will balance out the rod just fine and with the extra spool you can go rod shoping.........

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-20-2010, 07:39 AM

joshgamble will become famous soon enoughjoshgamble will become famous soon enough

Oh boy..Iwarned my wife it was a slippery slope, flyfishing. Buy rod and reel,upgrade reel,buy bew rod etc etc...lets go for a ride.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:50 AM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about

Josh, That a boy, now you've got it !!!! Welcome to fly fishing. Ard is correct though about the balance and versitility of choosing a larger reel.....

Best Regards, Boser
Old 06-20-2010, 06:58 PM

Cool...I went out and got me a Orvis MA 7-9wt reel....so that means I am gonna catch more fish right?....LOL
Old 06-21-2010, 12:46 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Of course it does,

Just be sure to fill the spool with plenty of backing with either line. I use a Hardy Princess on one of my six weights and they are a 3.5" reel and I keep an Orvis CFO IV for my 9' 5 wt. I wish it were a CFO V so it would be a little bigger and heavier. Glad to hear you settled on a reel and got a good deal.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-21-2010, 09:45 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Am late responding here, but from personal experience it would be hard to beat the Orvis BBS with free spool. A great reel, even not considering its great value, and with a free spool, better yet.