The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 12:55 AM

tourproto is on a distinguished road
Default Going old school: Sage 505L or Orvis CFO III?

Looking for a relatively old school click and pawl drag reel and looking at either the Sage 505L or the CFO III.

Any thoughts, comments, advice on deciding between these two?

Anything I should be aware of from a wear-and-tear perspective?

I have heard that both are pretty bulletproof. I haven't called Sage and/or Orvis yet to see if they can/will work on their reel if what I can find needs some work/refurbishing.

Thanks,

David
Old 08-20-2011, 01:19 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Going old school: Sage 505L or Orvis CFO III?

imhp the english made cfos are some of the finest reels ever made. a true piece of art.

casey

ARFE
Old 08-20-2011, 09:31 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourproto View Post
I haven't called Sage and/or Orvis yet to see if they can/will work on their reel if what I can find needs some work/refurbishing.
Here on the West Coast, Archuleta's Reel Works gets a lot of business for refurbishing old reels. If a piece needs to be machined, he'll do it.

Dennis
Old 08-23-2011, 06:11 AM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

As a huge fan of the old School Sage reels (500, 700 or even the 5000 series) i would go for the 505L. They come up on eBay fairly often and in fact there is a 509 on there right now that I'm eyeing. Certainly the CFO is a great reel and IMO one of the best Orvis products made but I would still favor the Sage. My choice is based on pure design esthetics as they both are pretty tough products.

One consideration though- weight. I imagine the 505L is a bit heavier than the CFO which depending on the rod may sway the choice.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:38 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Weren't those Sage reels made in England by Hardy?

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-23-2011, 11:44 AM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Weren't those Sage reels made in England by Hardy?
Yes- plus they had a very unique color.....
Old 08-23-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellb View Post
As a huge fan of the old School Sage reels (500, 700 or even the 5000 series) i would go for the 505L. They come up on eBay fairly often and in fact there is a 509 on there right now that I'm eyeing. Certainly the CFO is a great reel and IMO one of the best Orvis products made but I would still favor the Sage. My choice is based on pure design esthetics as they both are pretty tough products.

One consideration though- weight. I imagine the 505L is a bit heavier than the CFO which depending on the rod may sway the choice.
Thanks for the input. Obviously the Sage reels pre-date the internet so I can't find a lot of spec info on those reels. I didn't think about the weight of the reel and since modern rods are so much lighter, that could definitely make a difference in swingweight feel.

I haven't gotten any feedback on the plusses or minuses of the two reels, and I would have thought that there would be folks on this board who have tried both reels at some point in time.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:23 PM

For me- when these reels were on the market I worked in and guided for an Orvis dealer. The CFO is good, but even though I could purchase one on a Pro purchase plan, I liked the Sage better. The Sage has a geat feel and finish, it's a beautiful product.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:24 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

They are both fine coices, and both made by Hardy.

Another reel you might consider is one I consider a sleeper in the Hardy line. The Hardy JLH, they were almost identical to the Sages, and you can occasionally find a gloden one. I have a golden five, one of my favorite reels. The Sages are great reels, the L's are beginning to get a bit pricey on Ebay though. They are no longer a secret.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellb View Post
For me- when these reels were on the market I worked in and guided for an Orvis dealer. The CFO is good, but even though I could purchase one on a Pro purchase plan, I liked the Sage better. The Sage has a geat feel and finish, it's a beautiful product.
Mechanically, is there anything I should look for in either the CFO or Sage 505 that would raise a concern about its reliability? I don't plan on buying one without being able to check it out first (or have a return guarantee)