The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 12:41 AM

rjackh is on a distinguished road
Default ross evolution or lamson guru

im about to get a sage flight 5wt for most of my fw fishing, maybe occasional sw fishing under lights or on real calm days. im not sure what reel to get though. i like both the ross evolution and the lamson guru, anyone have input on either one? thanks
Old 06-20-2010, 07:58 AM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: ross evolution or lamson guru

rjack,
I can't comment on the Lamson but I can on the Ross. I have an Evolution but to be honest. After I inspected a Allen reel (Alpha) I actually am using the Allen and my Ross has been put away. The Ross seemed to get sand in the bearing/shaft area too easily when I would have to dip it in the water occasionally. Now I know it's not Ross's fault that I am vertically challenged (short) Ha! but the Allen has a better drag system, larger knurled drag knob and is much more attractive (Polished Gun Metal Blue). The Allen is less expensive as well. If you have access to somone that has an Allen check them out before you buy. I have heard good things about the Lamsom though and I'm sorry I cannot comment on them.

Best Regards, Boser.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:43 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

I am very happy with my Guru. I have a larger 3.5 that I have used a handful of times for stripers and bluefish and it has performed well and looked good doing it. And you can't beat the Lamson's drag.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:57 AM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about

sep, The conical drag system has always seemed appealing to me. How much backing do you have on your Lamsom 3 wt reel?

Regards, Boser
Old 06-20-2010, 12:20 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by boser View Post
sep, The conical drag system has always seemed appealing to me. How much backing do you have on your Lamsom 3 wt reel?

Regards, Boser
The reel I have is not for a 3wt, but the 3.5 model. I use it on my 8 and 10wt rods. I have about 250 yards of 20lb dacron backing, loaded in anticipation of those reel-shredding false albacore runs. THAT will test the conical drag if anything will. Can't wait for fall to find out.

Sep
Old 06-20-2010, 12:30 PM

sep, my apologies for not researching the 3.5 model. Thanks for straightening me out. It sounds like that is one powerful rig you have and I certainly hope you catch some monsters that will quickly show you your backing.

Best Regards, Boser
Old 06-20-2010, 01:25 PM

No apologies necessary!!!!

Have seen the backing already, shown to me by a feisty blue earlier this month.

Click the image to open in full size.

Sep
Old 06-20-2010, 01:44 PM

ctious is on a distinguished road

i have owned and fished both reels you ask about... also i own 6 allen reels now (alphas and trout models).... both reels u asked about are nice.... but the allens are better... I have sold my other reels and bought more allens... the drags on the allens are nice.. the machining is better.... i have but them up against some screamer fish... I have shown the reels for all kinds of people.. they can not believe its not a $300 plus dollar reel... for the money you cant beat them... Also you have to work hard to find a reel in the $300 to $400 range that is made as well....

btw.... the new trout reels he has are works of art....
Old 06-20-2010, 01:59 PM

sep, WOW, that is a nice fish. here in Iowa the only thing that might show me my backing would be a carp or drum....

Ctious, I too own about 6 Allen reels and feel the same as you do. They are awesome. I have a few friends that have switched to Allen as well.

Best Regards, Boser
Old 06-20-2010, 06:41 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't speak about the Allen reels, but would wonder about their longevity. For
the price, it might not matter....

The Evolution is supposed to have a conical drag, but I've never seen a schematic of its system. I do use them, and they are smooth for trout. I've
fiddled with Lamson, mostly trying to scratch the finish on the Hard Alox. No
luck with that. For as much as I'd like to try the Lamson Litespeed, I can't
get past the looks. I thought the Radius had the best look of all the models,
but that's a matter of individual taste. The one thing that stands out most
with the Evolution's drag is its ability to hold a setting forever. It
wasn't until I bought my first Evolution that I realized what I had been missing
for so long!