The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/)
-   -   Reel for Loomis Streamdance GLX 5WT (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/175607-reel-loomis-streamdance-glx-5wt.html)

mysticm 08-23-2011 02:23 PM

Reel for Loomis Streamdance GLX 5WT

I just purchased the Streamdance GLX 5wt & believe that I have finally found a rod that matches my casting stroke perfectly. I fished with it last week-end and it was an absolute pleasure to use. So, I am soliciting input on which reel looks good on it? I have a Orvis Batenkill 5/6 disc that balances the rod well but it looks strange to my eye (color & appearance).

Any suggestions? I was considering the Allen trout reel in the green color but unless I buy the reel there is no way for me to visualize how it would look on the Loomis rod. The rod blank is a dark olive brown color.

Thanks

caseywise 08-23-2011 04:54 PM

Re: Reel for Loomis Streamdance GLX 5WT

heres the reel loomis designed to go with that rod-

G.Loomis EastFork Fly Reels, Fly-Fishing Reels, Fly-Fishing, Fishing : Cabela's

although i've never used one, i'm sure its a fine reel.

casey

FrankB2 08-23-2011 08:02 PM

The Lamson Guru seems to go with everything....I guess. :D The price is the same as the Loomis reel, but I suppose you might want to decide whether you need a really good drag, or just something that holds line.

pl4a 08-23-2011 08:53 PM

I have a Lamson Velocity 2 on my glx 5wt. Balances well and I have absolutely no compaints with performance. A good reel in my opinion. I settled on velocity when I could not find a reasonably priced galvan ob3--that was my first choice.

From an aesthetics perspective, I think that bronze or copper looks best with the rod. I think that green reels clash too much with olive rod color. Just my thought.

-Paul

caseywise 08-23-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankB2 (Post 306427)
The Lamson Guru seems to go with everything....I guess. :D The price is the same as the Loomis reel, but I suppose you might want to decide whether you need a really good drag, or just something that holds line.

i agree frank,
lamsons drag system is outstanding:D:D, i own a few and they are my favorites.
i recommended the loomis because it was the closest thing i could find that would match the streamdance for looks.

paul,
check this out-
Lamson LS1.5 Litespeed Reel - 4/5wt - Save 25%

casey

mysticm 08-24-2011 04:27 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Another reel that I found in the copper / bronze color was the Ross Evolution and Galvan Torque. From the pictures and technical description, both look terrific. In terms of quality, I suppose all three manufacturers are equal.

silver creek 08-24-2011 12:40 PM

I use the original Ross Evolution reels on all my GLoomis rods. The older (original) Evo is actually lighter than the current Evo LT.

mysticm 08-24-2011 01:58 PM

Yes, I am keeping my eyes & ears open for a used original Ross Evo. ;)

caseywise 08-24-2011 04:58 PM

heres one i found on ebay new:D
these are great reels and the copper color
would look sweet on a streamdance!:):)
good luck.

casey

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

whoops!:p:p
heres the link-
NEW Ross Evolution LT 2 Fly Reel Copper with free line | eBay

mysticm 08-24-2011 05:42 PM

Casey,
You are infectious :)...I might have to inflate my budget or sell one of my other reels to afford the Evo2. It sure looks smashing!