The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 02:23 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default Reel for Loomis Streamdance GLX 5WT

I just purchased the Streamdance GLX 5wt & believe that I have finally found a rod that matches my casting stroke perfectly. I fished with it last week-end and it was an absolute pleasure to use. So, I am soliciting input on which reel looks good on it? I have a Orvis Batenkill 5/6 disc that balances the rod well but it looks strange to my eye (color & appearance).

Any suggestions? I was considering the Allen trout reel in the green color but unless I buy the reel there is no way for me to visualize how it would look on the Loomis rod. The rod blank is a dark olive brown color.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2011, 04:54 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Reel for Loomis Streamdance GLX 5WT

heres the reel loomis designed to go with that rod-

G.Loomis EastFork Fly Reels, Fly-Fishing Reels, Fly-Fishing, Fishing : Cabela's

although i've never used one, i'm sure its a fine reel.

casey

ARFE
Old 08-23-2011, 08:02 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

The Lamson Guru seems to go with everything....I guess. The price is the same as the Loomis reel, but I suppose you might want to decide whether you need a really good drag, or just something that holds line.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:53 PM

pl4a is on a distinguished road

I have a Lamson Velocity 2 on my glx 5wt. Balances well and I have absolutely no compaints with performance. A good reel in my opinion. I settled on velocity when I could not find a reasonably priced galvan ob3--that was my first choice.

From an aesthetics perspective, I think that bronze or copper looks best with the rod. I think that green reels clash too much with olive rod color. Just my thought.

-Paul
Old 08-23-2011, 09:26 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
The Lamson Guru seems to go with everything....I guess. The price is the same as the Loomis reel, but I suppose you might want to decide whether you need a really good drag, or just something that holds line.
i agree frank,
lamsons drag system is outstanding, i own a few and they are my favorites.
i recommended the loomis because it was the closest thing i could find that would match the streamdance for looks.

paul,
check this out-
Lamson LS1.5 Litespeed Reel - 4/5wt - Save 25%

casey

ARFE
Old 08-24-2011, 04:27 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the suggestions. Another reel that I found in the copper / bronze color was the Ross Evolution and Galvan Torque. From the pictures and technical description, both look terrific. In terms of quality, I suppose all three manufacturers are equal.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:40 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I use the original Ross Evolution reels on all my GLoomis rods. The older (original) Evo is actually lighter than the current Evo LT.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-24-2011, 01:58 PM

Yes, I am keeping my eyes & ears open for a used original Ross Evo.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:58 PM

heres one i found on ebay new
these are great reels and the copper color
would look sweet on a streamdance!
good luck.

casey

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

whoops!
heres the link-
NEW Ross Evolution LT 2 Fly Reel Copper with free line | eBay

ARFE
Old 08-24-2011, 05:42 PM

Casey,
You are infectious ...I might have to inflate my budget or sell one of my other reels to afford the Evo2. It sure looks smashing!