The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 03:27 PM

jimbell7 is on a distinguished road
Default Reel Filler Material

I have several reels which need a filler under the backing in order to properly fill the reel. Can any of you suggest a material to use for this, short of adding more backing? Ideally the material would be light weight, impervious to water and resistant to compression. Thanks for any help!
Old 08-26-2011, 04:21 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reel Filler Material

How about cork? If you could lay up some cork into a disc, and then split it in two, you should be able to fit it onto the spool's arbor with a light adhesive. I recently weighed a reel without backing, and then added enough backing to increase the arbor diameter to 1 5/8". The difference in weight was only .7 oz, so the cork might weigh more. Drilling holes in the cork disc could reduce weight, but it would have to be treated to make it water resistant. Just my ideas....
Old 08-26-2011, 09:58 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

What's wrong with adding more backing?
Old 08-26-2011, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'm in the 'add more backing' crowd.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-26-2011, 10:02 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

yep, i would add more backing as well. maybe try 30 lb,

ARFE
Old 08-27-2011, 02:22 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with casey. Add more backing, but use 30 pound test.

Dennis
Old 08-27-2011, 05:52 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

After ice fishing season is over, I look for marked down tip-up line.
It's the same material as backing only heavier, and you can up can pick it up for a song at close-out. It's thicker and of a heavier test than backing so you don't get many yards of it on a fly reel. I use it on all my reels where the backing is likely to never see the light of day.
You can use "squidding" line, or dacron trolling line too.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:34 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I should have added that I wind my backing without a machine. While I've never measured the difference between motor winding and reeling backing on by hand, I can imagine that motor winding packs it on tight. I also don't do it because I had a spool warp from the pressure (cheaper reel).

Do you want to eliminate backing because you don't use it, to reduce weight, or to increase arbor size while minimizing weight? Replacing a bunch of standard arbor reels is certainly expensive, so I can understand that. I've found that some lines and brands are less prone to coiling than others. Scientific Anglers line have never coiled for me. I left a 4wt SA Mastery Trout on a 2 7/8" diameter reel for over 6 months, and when I finally used the line a couple weeks ago, there wasn't any coiling at all. SA's GPX lines are excellent in this regard as well. I dont use Sharkskin, but one of its selling points is no coiling. I bought a Rio line about 8-9 years ago, and it was a coiling nightmare. They've improved from what I've heard, but SA is what I use.

Dunking a reel with 200 yard of backing can leave a reel wet for a while, but dacron's only weakness is sun light. Leaving the reel on a shelf to dry solves that problem overnight. Hand winding the backing on using a criss-cross pattern should leave lots of air around the backing, and reduce the amount and weight. Riptide's idea of trolling line is something I've thought about, but I'm too lazy to bother.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:19 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I erased this from my first post worried that it might give somebody a heart attack, but what the heck.

On a couple of my saltwater reels, I have 25 yards of mono between the backing and the fly line.

When you have a full fly line and a bunch of backing out, the drag of the line through the water can put a lot of stress on even the strongest tippet.
Having a bit of stretchable mono between the line and backing relieves some of this pressure

I'm not saying this is what you should do, just that a short section of mono is not going to crush the spool arbor as "conventional wisdom" dictates.