The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 12:27 PM

samsonite is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Greys GX500 problem

Hi guys just bought me a Greys GX500, i must say that its a great reel, but i have a problem with the drag system, i understand that there are 2 noises when retrieving the line, the quiet click and the noisey click( yeah i kno,im just a starter :P) i noticed that when i tighten the drag its always set on the quiet click when i retrive the line...is this normal? or does that make sense? i myself would want the drag when the line is goin out not when i am retrievin the line.... lol sorry if i confused ye,just hope that made sense......
Jus want some info before i take the reel apart and try fix it myself :P

tight lines
Old 08-27-2011, 10:57 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greys GX500 problem

I had to reread this several times to make sure I understand your issue.

Ask yourself these questions.
1. Do I reel with my left hand or right hand?
2. Is the drag mechanism set for a left hand retrieve or a right hand retrieve?

My guess is that the drag mechanism is set for a direction that is opposite of what you plan on reeling.

To correct this, do one of the following.
1. Read the directions that came with the reel, and set the drag mechanism direction.
2. Take the reel to the shop that you bought it at, and have a staff member change set the drag mechanism direction for you.

Dennis
Old 08-28-2011, 05:52 AM

Thanks dennis but the prob is that i bought it on ebay, i reel with my left and i cast with my right hand,i thought that this reel can change from right to left hand, its just that the drag system is set on the wrong click, like the loud click is when the line is goin out, and the silent click is when im reeling the line in(thats when the drag is on), anyone else has a similar prob to this?
Old 08-28-2011, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi samsonite,

I have not seen this reel but the incoming click should be quiet and the outgoing click makes the most noise. In some reels the drag has no effect on the sound of the click.

You need to determine if the wind is set up for a right or left hand drag. You can do that by decreasing the drag to its lightest setting and pull line off of the reel. Now increase the drag to the max and pull line off again. If the drag doesn't increase you have the reel on backwards for the way it is set up. Don't worry about the sound of the click. If the resistance increases when you pull out the line then that is the direction the drag works. If it doesn't increase then the reel is on backwards. You have to mount the reel the way the reel is set up (Right or Left hand wind). When the wind is set correctly the drag will work correctly.

The above is for a reel with a drag. A plain clicker should work with the strongest click when line is pulled from the reel.

Frank
Old 08-28-2011, 10:15 AM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

Frank and Dennis seem to have identified your issue. I found this link may help you in setting up the reel.
Greys GX500 Fly Reel With Video and Review | Free Shipping | Fly Fishing Store, Best Fly Rods, Best Fly Reels, Fly Fishing Podcasts
Old 08-29-2011, 02:21 AM

Thanks guys,il try fix the prob