The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 10:44 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Islander AR 3 or 4

I am in search of an Islander AR3 or AR4 reel, color not important. I borrowed one for a trip to Kodiak for the Silvers last fall and loved it. No broken knuckles. Unfortunately, I found out they are no longer made, and my bud will not part with his. Anybody have one they want to sell?

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:26 AM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all
Default Re: Islander AR 3 or 4

I have always loved Islanders as well, very nice reels. If you cannot find one have you considered other anti reverse reels? Abel is currently selling some of their AR models on closeout and of course the Billy Pate anti reverse reels are a classic choice. To be honest, if I was in the market the Pate would have a strong draw for me, I've always like the styling especially the two tone reels.

Weight and capacity wise, I would image there is little difference from the Islander to the Abel and the Pate. Have a look at-

Abel Automatics, Inc. :: Fly Reels :: Anti-Reverse Reels -30% Discount on all Models
http://www.tiborreel.com/
And try Just Reels, he gets a variety of used high end reels and currently has an Islander AR2-
Misc./Used Tackle
Old 09-02-2011, 09:15 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

You are absolutely right! The abel anti's are fine reels.....the price a bit steep for my budget, but that has always been my downfall: Caviar taste with an oatmeal wallet (I'm a public school teacher). Thanks for the heads-up on the the Abel closeouts...I'll look.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Old 09-03-2011, 10:27 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen some REALLY low prices on Abel reels while cruising ebay lately. One example was a NIB Super 5N for $315 shipped. I'm going to assume that price is around dealer cost, so take a look over there if you're in the market for Abel.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:47 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Good luck in the search! And I'm going to take a stab and assume you teach physics, based on the username?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-03-2011, 08:50 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfzx View Post
You are absolutely right! The abel anti's are fine reels.....the price a bit steep for my budget, but that has always been my downfall: Caviar taste with an oatmeal wallet (I'm a public school teacher). Thanks for the heads-up on the the Abel closeouts...I'll look.

Keep an eye on eBay, there are certainly great deals to be had. I understand about the hole in a budget that the purchase an Abel can make. That said, your desired Islander will cost nearly or exactly the same as the Pate or Abel- at least it was that way the last time I checked. Islander- Abel- Pate they all are going to be a 500 dollar bill or more for a salmon sized reel.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:35 AM

Gator.....yep for the past 16 years I've been spouting Newton's Laws at high school seniors and juniors. I Love what I do!

Russellb....Yes, the price is about the same. I've bid on a few, but chickened out at about $300 (my wife would kill me!). The Abel's seem to fetch a bit higher price on ebay. I'll keep looking for a bargain....but I guess a bargain is in the eye of the beholder, or maybe the wallet! For now I'll keep using my TFO 425, and Tioga 12. They some times bloody my knuckles, but I guess those are just badges of honor.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:26 PM

stevel is on a distinguished road

I used to have an AR4 which I used as a spey reel (sparingly). I sold it to a friend of mine (another member SalmoTrutta on the UK sister forum to this - Fly Fishing Forums. Fly fishing news, chat, reviews, advice and reports. Join over 25,000 registered members.).
If you're interested and prepared to have it shipped to the US from England drop him a PM. He bought it from me to use as a Tarpon reel but never used it for this purpose.

Regards,
Steve
Old 12-21-2011, 08:01 PM

anthonygraz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfzx View Post
I am in search of an Islander AR3 or AR4 reel, color not important. I borrowed one for a trip to Kodiak for the Silvers last fall and loved it. No broken knuckles. Unfortunately, I found out they are no longer made, and my bud will not part with his. Anybody have one they want to sell?
I have one for sale Islander AR 4. If you are interested let me know. It is brand new never used. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:32 AM

rdoughe963 is on a distinguished road

I am looking for an islander la4 ar reel, if anyone has one for sale,,,,please email me at hurricanebob69@yahoo.com,, paypal payment,,thank you in advance, my brother owns one and i love it