The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 08:13 AM

wetboot is on a distinguished road
Default Redington Drift 3/4 Click is loud

Hi everyone,
Yesterday, I picked up a CT 8' 4wt and 3/4 Drift reel to go with it. Now I know some folks love the loud click of a click and pawl reel, and I don't really mind it one way or the other, but is there a way to make these reels slightly quieter? I had it out last evening and I really like it a lot, but was wondering about this.

I'm not trying to start a thread on the pros vs cons of this type of reel and their sound; my purchase is already made and I am happy with it. This is just purely a technical question...
Old 09-15-2011, 10:05 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Redington Drift 3/4 Click is loud

Have you tried contacting Redington?

Home :: Contact Us
Old 09-15-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Have you tried contacting Redington?

Home :: Contact Us
That actually occurred to me right after posting this . I sent them an email, will post their reply

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

Looks like "it is what it is". No matter- now I know!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 12:03 PM
Subject: RE: Drift 3/4 question

Hi Rob,

The Drift reel uses a click and pawl drag, without the click, there is no resistance and your spool/line can backlash.

Best regards,
Team Red

Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:51 AM
To: Tech: Redington
Subject: Drift 3/4 question

Hi, I purchased a Drift 3/4 yesterday. Is there a way for me to make the clicks a little quieter? I have strong mechanical skills, and I can perform adjustments myself.

Thanks!

Rob

Old 09-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi wetboot,

Well Redington wasn't much help.

Since you are mechanical here are a couple of ideas. Keep in mind I have not seen the inside of a Drift click and pawl.

1. There must be a spring that puts tension on the pawl. See if you can replace the spring with a lighter one or shorten it and stretch it so it isn't so strong.

2. Remove the pawl and round the tip of the contact point. You have to be careful not to change the profile too much.

3. You night be able to shorten the pawl so it is not pushing so hard on to the gear.

What I would do is order a replacement pawl and experiment with that. If you screw it up you still have the original to put back in.

Frank
Old 09-15-2011, 07:06 PM

Thanks Frank- probably not worth voiding my warranty over, which I'm sure that would do. I did realize that once I got it outside of my living room, it wasn't nearly as loud as I thought it was initially...
Old 09-16-2011, 02:49 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
1. There must be a spring that puts tension on the pawl. See if you can replace the spring with a lighter one or shorten it and stretch it so it isn't so strong.
Try the spring that pushes up the flint on a disposable lighter
Old 09-19-2011, 08:31 PM

Ok, had the reel going all weekend. Dozen or so bluegills w/the kids on Saturday, a few hours on the Wood on Sunday. Seems the reel just needed a bit of breaking in time as it is noticeably quieter now. I'm actually quite pleased with it now that it's not quite as sharp sounding. No need for the Redington/ Bic Lighter hybrid, Rip, but will file that one away for future use
Old 09-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have two reels that are noticeably louder than my others. What it takes to become fond of the noise is to have a really big fish grab your fly and just make the reel howl. After hearing it whine a couple times the noise will be better. That's probably why yours seems quieter after a bunch of Gills, it isn't really quieter, it just sounds better to you now

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;