The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 05:59 PM

smallie311 is on a distinguished road
Default line weight different than reel weight

What would happen if I were to use a 5 weight line on a reel made for 3/4 weight or 7/8 weight. There is a .2 ounce difference between the reels but the 7/8 holds almost 50 more yards of backing. I won't be catching any fish that would run through that amount. Also would there be any balance issues with the smaller or larger size reel.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:37 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road
Default Re: line weight different than reel weight

It shouldn't make much difference, as long as the weight of the reel isn't too great to throw off the balance of the rod. I've got some reels marked "7/8" that weight 3 oz less than reels marked "5/6". One other thing to consider beside weight and amount of backing: if the reel is traditional rather than large arbor, the smaller spool diameter may cause heavier lines to have more coils, especially in cold weather.

I tend to use larger, but lighter reels than the line. For example, my 4 wt rod has an Okuma SLV 56 reel that weighs only 5.3 oz and is 3.25" spool diameter. It weighs 2 ounces less than a fully loaded conventional 4 weight-sized reel I used to use, which had a spool slightly smaller than 3 inches.

I have 3 of the same model reel, plus an extra spool, loaded with WF-4-F, WF-6-F, WF-7-F, and WF-7-ST lines. If I bought a 9 weight for striper, I might use the same reel, or go up to a size or two larger reel. I like the versatility, and the larger spools only have an inch more line retrieve per turn.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 04-05-2007, 12:53 AM

smallie311 is on a distinguished road

The reel I'm considering is the Pflueger Summit but the place I buy from doesn't have the 5/6 weight in stock but they have the 3/4 and 7/8.

1634 3-1/4" 31/32" 6.3 oz. Up to #4 30yds./20#
1656 3-1/2" 31/32" 6.6 oz. Up to #6 30yds./20#
1678 3-3/4" 31/32" 6.8 oz. Up to #8 80yds./20#

I'll be matching it with an 8' 5wt St. Croix premiere and Scientific Angler Headstart 5wt. line. After reading what you posted, I'm thinking about just getting the 7/8 reel and maybe not use so much backing. Just wanted to double check that there shouldn't be a problem. (Still new to all this, lots to take in)
Old 04-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Seeing that the "7/8" size is only supposed to hold 80 yds of backing with an 8wt line, I would say you're likely fine with that reel, but the fact that the 5 wt you're interested in is only 8' long complicates that. The weight difference between the 9' and 8' versions of that rod may be less than a half ounce, but the "swing weight" difference will be much greater. With that 8' rod, I would wait until the "5/6" reel comes in, or pick another that will fit that rod better.

That Headstart fly line is a gem though. You'll likely love it and be spoiled into getting good lines for the rest of your days.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.