The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/)
-   -   Galvan Rush Fly Reel (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/1872-galvan-rush-fly-reel.html)

mhclayton 04-08-2007 01:59 PM

Galvan Rush Fly Reel

Have any of you used a Galvan Rush reel? I have an OB-3, love it and was looking for a slightly larger reel. I saw a new Rush on ebay and bought it for about $160, new based on how much I like the OB. I plan to use it on my 6 weight rod for lake and larger river fishing for trout and will take it with me to Alaska this summer.

Frank Whiton 04-10-2007 06:31 PM

Re: Galvan Rush Fly Reel

Hi mhclayton,

I see no one answered so I will tell you what I know. The Rush is the same basic reel as the Torque reel. The Rush doesn't have the fancy machining that the Torque reel has. I have not fished the Torque or the Rush but I was able to Compare a Torque and a OB-3. I thought the OB-3 had a better feel to it and I would prefer to have the OB-3 instead of the other two reels. I think you have a great reel for the price and you will enjoy it. It will serve you well for what you intend. You didn't say what size the Rush is. For Alaska you could get by with the OB-3 on a 6 weight. You would only have 50 yards of backing but that would work. If you used a Super Braid line for backing you can just about double that. Where will you be fishing in Alaska?

mhclayton 04-11-2007 08:25 PM

I will be fishing the Kenai, the Portage and taking a 3 day trip to Cordova to fish for Silvers. I haven't been to any of these places before. I lived in Alaska for 2 years in the mid 80's in a small community on the Kuskokwim River and fished the Konektok (sp?) River for Salmon, mostly used a 9 weight rig at the time with an old Fin-Nor reel which was designed more for Tarpon than a 12 pound Salmon. A friend from Anchorage will be taking me.

I have since received the reel, which looks great-- it doesn't have the level of finish of the OB series (machining marks on the spool), but the drag seems like it could stop a whale. I plan to take 6 and 8 weight rods. I recently bought a Lamson Lightspeed 3.5 that I will put on the 8 weight.

Frank Whiton 04-12-2007 09:45 AM

You will have a shot at some big salmon and rainbows on the Kenai.

I fished all over Alaska with an 8 weight rod. Caught everything from Grayling to Kings Salmon. Was a little under gunned for King Salmon. You are getting a nice assortment of reels. What size is the Rush? Good luck with your trip. Give us a report when you get back.

mhclayton 09-10-2007 05:43 PM

Follow up report: Just got back from my trip- spent 3 days floating the upper Kenai and a day on the upper Russian river. I was surprised at how good the fishing was without having to pay mega bucks for a fly-in fishing lodge.
Round trip ticket from Albuquerque was $500. Rental for a full size car was about $300 for a week. Bed and breakfast in Cooper's Landing $80/night. Friend took me drifting gratis.

On the Kenai, many 19-24" Rainbows with Dolly Varden's mixed in. 10-20 fish per day in this size range easy. Slightly smaller on the Russian, which is more of a small-medium stream fishable with a 6 weight. On the Kenai, I used an 8 weight Powell Tiboron II, which broke after several days of large rainbows and foul-hooked Sockeye. One of the 24" rainbows took off skipping across the water and it just snapped. I might have had the drag too tight, or it could have been from damage being jostled around in a drift boat for a few days. The 6 weight was a Loomis Streamdance HLX, and everyone I let fish with it wanted to buy one. They just went on sale for around $350-$400 at Sportsman's Warehouse, presumably being replaced by something new. I personally wouldn't buy another Tiboron, it was just too stiff for my casting style-- never could get the timing down right.

The Galvan Rush worked beautifully-- what a sweet drag. Smooth as glass. More of a mid arbor than a true large arbor, which is fine with me. Used my backup reel for the 8 weight, an Orvis mid-arbor which was terrific. Bought mine new on ebay for about $100 and it has a very good, adjustable drag and you don't feel so bad if it gets a few nicks in a drift boat. Recommed it highly.

Frank Whiton 09-10-2007 06:06 PM

Hi mhclayton,

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a great trip. You were lucky to have a friend with a boat. The upper Kenai is a great spot for rainbows. Did you get down to Cordova for Silvers?. Sorry to hear you broke a rod.

mhclayton 09-12-2007 08:19 PM

Never made it to Cordova. The group I joined had already been fishing for 5 days and were tired of catching big fish by the time I got there. Maybe next year. MC