The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 03:38 PM

lefty2 is on a distinguished road
Default guru vs. cla

morning, gents. i am putting together an outfit for smallmouth fishin in lakes and an occasional trip north for steelhead. it will either be a 6wt or 7wt. i have been reading on both the guru and cla reels and love what i read. i like the fact that the guru is lighter, but i love the looks of the ross. can anyone offer any input on both.

thanks for the help.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:19 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: guru vs. cla

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty2 View Post
morning, gents. i am putting together an outfit for smallmouth fishin in lakes and an occasional trip north for steelhead. it will either be a 6wt or 7wt. i have been reading on both the guru and cla reels and love what i read. i like the fact that the guru is lighter, but i love the looks of the ross. can anyone offer any input on both.

thanks for the help.
I've got a Guru 3; love it. I've not held a CLA, but I hear they have the same drag as the old evolutions? If that is correct I'm not a fan of the design, though I've never heard of one failing I've seen the tiny plastic engagement pawls awfully worn down. They use 4 pawls in their "triple redundancy" pawl drag engagement. I really wouldn't want to trust that tiny plastic pawl tooth on a BIG GAME reel. If you do, Heck, the old EVO is probably lighter than the Guru, and I'm sure it is lighter than the CLA, they are kindof heavy. You'll find an old EVO on e-bay for 150 or so. Plenty of folks love them in trout sizes, not sure about the larger ones. The guru on the other hand uses a clutch bearing and they are very reliable, and the guru is sealed up.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:48 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

CLA's don't have Click and Pawl drags...Have many CLA's and use them for everything from Bluegills up to Redfish in the salt; have never had a problem with one yet...

Dan
Old 10-12-2011, 06:40 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
CLA's don't have Click and Pawl drags...Have many CLA's and use them for everything from Bluegills up to Redfish in the salt; have never had a problem with one yet...

Dan
Sorry Dan, I wasn't meaning to sound ignorant, but maybe I wasn't really clear, or maybe I am mistaken about the drag mechanism or both. I didn't mean click/pawl, I was referring to the pawl style engagement on the disk drag as opposed to the one way clutch style of engagement. The Evolution used a pawl tooth to engage the disk drag, and I thought the CLA was the same drag unit. But, regardless I've never handled one, and you've used them for big critters. Steelhead and the like I assume, knowing where you fish.

What I should have said, rather than spouting off about what I don't know was, I got a Guru this spring for smallies and largemouth and hopefully it hooks into some lake Erie steel this year since I have yet to do the steelhead thing. Mostly because I didn't have a rig until now. I really like the GURU, smooth and light and konical drag system is pretty strong. I put it on a Mystic 9'3" 7wt...hope that's enough!

Last edited by ausablebrown; 10-12-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:16 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a spare spool kind of person, you may want to lean towards the CLA. Whenever Ross discontinues a reel from its Ross USA lineup (not Ross Worldwide), it continues to make a small batch of black spare spools each year. If you wish to add or replace a spool for a CLA in ten years, Ross may have one available which can be ordered through your local fly shop.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:27 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

in all fairness, either reel will be an exceptional addition to your lineup. that being said, i would choose the guru just because i love the conical drag system

casey

ARFE