The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 04:20 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Does this float your boat (or would you use it to hold your line)?

The first one I ever saw with the forward foot was the Henschel.

Click the image to open in full size.

But what is really amazing is that he came out with a dual mode reel almost exactlly the way I wanted to build one myself. Unfortunately, I was having enough problems with my own product to start on another with a much more tiny potential market. I have never held one in my hand to check it, so I am not sure if it has an infinitely variable drag adjustment between the set drag position and the direct drive position as how I wanted to do it. I doesn't appear from the video that the crank rotates but a few degrees before the direct drive friction overcomes the set drag and locks up.

It is a pretty cool setup and the video worth watching I think. It is made in Germany though, not here.

And here is the true large arbor spool that I couldn't find during the large arbor debate.

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by wjc; 10-23-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:00 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I've always admired The Ari T Hart Reels,one job I would have liked was working for Hart Reels.
The First time I ever saw them was in a Fly Fisherman magazine in 1986,I don't know how many I've bid on,on eBay over the years as they are still bringing big dollars,however the new Reels really look the part.
I don't know whether the Poms invented The Airflo Balanced Reels,Ari T might have helped them out ???
Also I've noticed one of the other Reel makers offer a foot to make them like the Airflo.
Brian
Old 10-25-2011, 09:31 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Brian, I think Ari't Hart's DNA is all over these angled foot-armiture reels. Hart came up with this idea (for better or worse, it is his idea) in the early 80's and, especially the European reel makers have long took note of his brilliant if ideosyncratic concepts. I have caught from small stream trout to big flats bonefish on his reels and I love them though I'm hesitant to recomend them to my friends because of their intricate oddness. If, however, this appeals to one as it does to you, you must have one! There are several web sites that re-sell used or "collected" ones plus his own site for his newest reels. Personally I prefere the more conventional reel foot...

Have you ever fished over at New Caladonia and is it true what they say about the bonefish there?
Old 10-25-2011, 09:51 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi sweetandsalt
I like the look of the new Hart Kenai Reels,even though I have heaps of Reels of all makes & sizes now I probably will end up with one.

Incidently I was talking to a friend last Tuesday about Bonefishing,as I've not yet fished for them,he mentioned he would like to go to Christmas or Thursday Island because it's not as crowded as New Caledonia also it's closer & part of Australia.
A fishing mate of another friend every year drives 3000 miles plus each way to fish for them on the other side of Australia.
Brian.