The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/)
-   -   Abel Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/195789-abel-reels.html)

trouthound13 10-18-2011 05:08 PM

Abel Reels

Does anyone out there know of any shops that take reels on trade-in. I love and use Galvan and Waterworks reels, but have received a few Abels as gifts the last few years and do not use them. Thank You.

kayo 10-18-2011 05:32 PM

Re: Abel Reels

I believe you can post them on the classifieds after 20 posts.

dean_mt 10-18-2011 05:32 PM

The Orvis shop here in Missoula takes used gear and gives store credit. Then sell the stuff you didn't want on their fleabay store and probably turns a profit there too. I bet they are not the only shop to think of this. Not sure it would be worth it if you had to pay to send the old one and then pay to ship the new one too.

There is a classified section right here on the forum. A whole lot easier than ebay and your target consumer is just waiting to pounce!

trouthound13 10-18-2011 05:47 PM

Thanks Dean MT, I will just start calling shops as there are none close to me and see what happens. Your probably right on the shipping.

MoscaPescador 10-18-2011 07:18 PM

One of the forum sponsors, Leland Fly Fishing Outfitters, has an eBay program. I believe that George Revel is running it for them.

Dennis

mcnerney 10-18-2011 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoscaPescador (Post 334012)
One of the forum sponsors, Leland Fly Fishing Outfitters, has an eBay program. I believe that George Revel is running it for them.

Dennis

+1 for what Dennis said, checkout their website: Fly Fishing Rod Gear, Reel, Rods, Reels, School Education

Larry

trouthound13 10-18-2011 10:23 PM

Thank you gentlemen. Manage to work something out with a shop. Tight lines to all.

sweetandsalt 10-19-2011 08:22 AM

If you "love" your Galvans and Waterworks you might want to part with you Ablels. Unless they are of a size not relevant to your fishing, this confuses me as Abels are icons of American fly reel craftsmanship and design. Are you sure you will not regret this in seasons to come?

trouthound13 10-19-2011 12:50 PM

Sweet,

Do not know how may people this has happened to, but I went to put a couple reels I received as a gift recently into a room in the basement and saw a rod tube sticking out from underneath some of the wife's clothes and purses she has in there(a lot). That led to wondering what was in the room. It has ended up as sort of a storage room over the years, and needless to say I was shocked at every thing I found. Rods, reel, tying materials, books, golf clubs.......... I will end up keeping some abel's, but am perfectly comfortably with the rod/reel set ups I have now. I regret not staying more organized, I have probably spent a lot of money purchasing items that I thought were lost or did not have over the years. I guess I will just have to blame it on the better half!!!!!!:wiggle:

sweetandsalt 10-19-2011 01:22 PM

Good story. Keep the Abels and loose some of the old clothing.