The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 08:49 AM

jpd5184 is on a distinguished road
Default Hatch and Loop

i have been looking for a new reel and these two brands look great. I havent really seen anybody on these forums talking about them. They look like great quality.

thoughts?
Old 10-19-2011, 09:14 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hatch and Loop

I won't talk about Loops since I have not touched one in awhile. Here in California, I only know of one shop based out of San Francisco carrying the brand.

Hatch makes a wonderful product. The frame and spool are machined beautifully. The drag is silky smooth as well as powerful. In the realm of fully sealed stacked washer disk drag systems, you would probably have to get yourself a Mako to have a better drag system.

My favorite thing of about the Hatch reels is that every moving part of it is internalized in the sealed hub. There are no pawls, clickers, or spring exposed. There are no silly parts to get lost.

The only negative feedback that I have gotten is that the reels can be a bit on the heavy side.

Dennis
Old 10-19-2011, 11:29 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

I have 2 Hatch Reels; a 5+ for my Z-Axis and a 7+ on a Scott S4s for bonefish. MP said it; briliantly designed, great reels...solid as a stone. And not too heavy in my opinion but Hatch has heard this comment and this year has re-designed their porting and housing supports to be lighter than before.

Loops were inovative initially but on some models you reeled against the drag setting...not for me. Now they are (I have heard) made in China. Another Scandinavian, Danielson, makes a very fine and somewhat esoteric, extra large-arbor reel worth looking at instead of Loop. More US dealers too.

In this group of new age fly reel design, you migh also add for consideration the Florida-built Nautilus NV with a "G" spool.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:41 PM

mdraft1 will become famous soon enoughmdraft1 will become famous soon enough

I have a Loop reel and it is very nice. I'm not sure what reel the previous post (reeling against the drag) is referring to, but for quick line pick up it is hard to beet the Loop reels. I have used Hatch reels as well, they are very nice, but I have had problems with the drag locking up. I needed to put a wrench on the drag knob to get it unstuck.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:52 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

LOOP reels are made in Korea, just like Sage, Hardy, Guideline, etc...

Good reels, but I would choose something Made in the USA if it was me...

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdraft1 View Post
I have a Loop reel and it is very nice. I'm not sure what reel the previous post (reeling against the drag) is referring to, but for quick line pick up it is hard to beet the Loop reels. I have used Hatch reels as well, they are very nice, but I have had problems with the drag locking up. I needed to put a wrench on the drag knob to get it unstuck.
He's talking about the old Original Series which I believe Danielsson may still sell...